Thursday, December 15, 2011

Major Development

The perinatologist, Dr. B, came to see me around 8 pm  tonight.  He checked me (I hadn't been checked since 4 am on Wednesday the 7th) and I was still dilated to 8 cm.  I was 90% effaced (I was 80% before) and at a 0 station (I was 1 before) (a 4 station would be very high and a -4 is when a baby is crowning.  So Elliot is "engaged" in the pelvis).

I have been fighting an internal battle between wanting to keep Elliott inside as long as possible and really wanting to be home for Christmas.  I think this is the worst time of year for this hospitalized bed rest to be happening.  I feel like if it were in any other month I would have no qualms at all about just staying put.  But for the last 5 days I have been swinging back and forth with- a)  I can do it and b) I don't want to do it because I want to be at home with my family for Christmas.

I felt like a jerk of a mother for even thinking it, but I was going to propose my plan to Dr. B:  I stay for 1 more week and then if nothing happens during that time I agree to be delivered on the 22nd at 36 weeks 1 day. That would be 2 days longer than my pregnancy with Spencer. 

I never even got to bring up my plan.  After Dr. B checked me he launched into his plan.  He is concerned about the risk of infection, because I have been in advanced dilation for 11 days.  He said that at this point the complications arising from infection far outweigh the risk of prematurity.  Even though my amniotic sac is intact he said that bacteria can still eat through it without breaking it or causing it to leak.  And I am at high risk since my uterus has been open to the world for 11 days.  There are many conditions/complications that an infection could cause, the most serious being cerebral palsy and paralysis.

At this point (35 + weeks) the risks of prematurity are breathing problems, issues with regulating temperature, feeding issues and jaundice. The most serious of those problems are breathing issues.  Everything else is pretty minor in comparison to the breathing, which is still less of a concern than an infection.

He proposed that we do an amniocentesis, wait for the results and if Elliott's lungs show signs of maturity we break my sac and deliver tomorrow- Dec. 16th.

So, at about 10 pm he did the amniocentesis in my room, with the help of a concurrent ultrasound.  It was freaky and slightly painful but not too bad.  I did not watch (I closed my eyes and covered them with my hands) because the needle is about 12 inches long.

The fluid has to be taken to a different hospital where it will be tested for lung maturity and signs of infection.  These are the 4 possible scenarios tomorrow:

1) His lungs are mature and there are signs of infection. They break my water and deliver.

2)  His lungs are mature and there are no signs of infection.
They break my water and deliver.

3) His lungs are immature and there are signs of infection.
They break my water and deliver.

4) His lungs are immature and there are no signs of infection.
We wait a few days and repeat the amnio.

I will be 35 weeks 2 days tomorrow.  That is 4 days before when Spencer was born.  I had those 2 steroid shots last week.  He was taking practice breaths during the ultasound last week and tonight.  I think the most likely scenario is that his lungs are mature.  I was also encouraged when Dr. B said that neither of us have shown any of the early signs of an infection (me: fever and high blood pressure, Elliott: lowered heart rate, reduced movement).  

So.  Now we wait again.  But this waiting feels different.  It feels like this is my last night to be pregnant.  It feels like 12/16/11 could be Elliott's birthday.  It feels like tomorow will be anything but routine.  It feels like I won't be able to sleep a wink tonight.  

My beloved childhood basset hound, Bunny, was born on 12/16/91.  

I like it.

The results won't be in until around noon, so nothing should happen in the morning.  But after that.......who knows!

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Natalie, I'm so sorry this has been a roller coaster of a labor. Elliott will be one special guy! You amaze with your strength!

Megan said...

Um...I LOVE that he shares a birthday with Bunny. Congratulations again, you have been so awesome and I cannot believe you haven't missed a beat with the blogs! It is why I think you are so MINT among many other reasons!