Wednesday, September 7, 2011

4

Spencer is 4.

I also need to practice saying that.  Spencer is 4.

It sounds so old.

This year was the first year that I didn't spend all day with him on his birthday.  I had to work.  I work 2 days a week, so it was just rotten timing.  Spencer started an art class on his birthday.  I left the camera for Michael with specific instructions to take a couple of pictures during the class.  He did nothing of the sort.  I couldn't be too mad, though, because he did take the official 4 year photo.  And this was the first shot. 
Amazing.
This was a runner-up, but the fake smile wasn't cutting it.
When I got home from work we all went to the party store to buy supplies for Spencer's upcoming Thomas the Train Party.  Then we went to the cupcake store.

Check these babies out.  Michael got triple chocolate, Spencer got sprinkles, I got a pink cadillac (strawberry with vanilla buttercream filling) and a cookie dough to share.
Once that was all done Spencer could not wait any longer.  It was present time.

He got a Thomas and Friends shirt.  He will most likely wear this for his party.
A set of flashlights.
This might seem like an odd present for a 4-year-old, but one of Spencer's favorite activities is to take a flashlight and "look for stuff".  Mostly buried treasure under beds and in closets. 
A Thomas toothbrush, because I like giving things that he needs anyway as a gift.
Thomas pajamas.
A whole bunch of puzzles.
A pretend money set.
He looks deceptively rich here.
Then it was time for the Big Kahuna.

Spencer insisted on reading the gunstructions (his word) first.
Can you tell what it is?
Side note: I LOVE this picture.
A pop-up Thomas tent. 
He's already moved some of his favorite toys in there.
Then we put together all of his new puzzles.
Then we took his annual block picture.
Then it was dinner time.
I asked him what he'd like for dinner and told him he could have whatever he wanted.  Then I held my breath that I would actually be able to deliver on that promise.  I mean, what if he asked for lobster and caviar?

He wanted cereal and strawberry slices.

Done and done.

Easiest dinner ever.
Then it was cupcake time.
He was just so incredibly happy while we sang to him.


I'd like you to see how much he ate.  He scraped the frosting with his teeth a couple of times and had maybe 4 crumbs of actual cake.  Then he requested some tupperware so he could put it in the refrigerator.
Then it was bedtime.  It was a wonderful, simple, fun 4th birthday.  

But it wasn't quite over on Tuesday.

Today I volunteered in Spencer's class.  I brought cupcakes to share with everyone during snack time.  His teacher gave him a crown and a card and a prize.  He picked a Winnie the Pooh harmonica.

He really felt special the whole day.

Plus we still have 2 birthday parties to throw.  One here and one in Tucson.

We're going to be very birthday'd out.

4 comments:

Kendra Forgacs said...

Looks like a fun birthday and I'm sure the Thomas party will be just as fun!

Maryellen said...

I LOVE the pop up tent you bought him! That's sooooooooooo cool!

Karen said...

Wow! What a lucky boy!! (Hope he doesn't grow tired of Thomas anytime soon ;)

Cat said...

Aww cute, also, can we please add the cupcake place to our list of things to do during the 2013 visit?