Monday, December 13, 2010

Still kickin'

I've been out of commission since last week.  This is no ordinary cold virus we all seem to have contracted.  It's like a combo pack of mononucleosis, lyme disease, emphysema, chronic fatigue syndrome and tuberculosis, with just a touch of meningitis, topped off with a shot of tonsillitis and adenoiditis.  Throw in a little sinus infection for good measure.  So, yeah.  We've been sick.

Spencer did indeed have his first ever ear infection.  I'm pretty proud that we made it to age 3-years, 3-months without one.  I'd like to attribute it to 2 years of breastfeeding, but more likely his eustachian tubes are just naturally placed well for correct drainage.  It's been our first foray into antibiotics for him.  He did not do well on the first one- he threw up an hour after taking it every time we gave it to him.  He's done better on the second type.   

We haven't been up to much in the last week.  Most everything got cancelled because of our various diseases processes.  I didn't get to wear an ugly sweater to Amy's cookie making party.  We didn't get to go to the tree lighting in Scottsdale.  We missed a whole week of My Gym.

On Friday night we did have Brendan over for dinner to celebrate his birthday.  He is also sick with the same illness, so we decided to just go ahead with it, since it's not like we'd be getting each other sick.  I had to take a 2.5 hour nap and take a massive amount of pain reliever to get myself into the kitchen.

Then I whipped up this German feast- schnitzel, red cabbage and spaetzle. 
I had bought a bunch of German beer and wine for the occassion.  We were all so incredibly ill that we stuck to water and hot tea.  At one point I had to put my head down on the dining room table to keep from passing out.  It was a helluva party.
I know it looks like a mini pizza, but it was actually a mini apple marzipan tart.
So, on Saturday we bought ourselves a flat screen TV.  Finally.  It's our Christmas present to ourselves plus from both sets of our parents.  Spencer took a chunk of styrofoam from the TV box.  Then he took a plastic knife and shredded the styrofoam all over the floor.  He claimed he was making sprinkles for muffins.  Riiiiight.  We actually made him vacuum up the mess. 
So, we were reading the directions for the TV and it said not to let the TV sit in direct sunlight.  We read this as sunlight was beaming straight onto our TV screen.  Great.  The windows in our kitchen have blinds, but there is a strange rectangular window above them that does not.  If you sit in the living room in the afternoon and look up, you will a) get free lasix or b) go blind.  Depends on the angle at that particular moment.
So, along with the new TV we got new curtains.  Hooray.
Since we couldn't go to the spectacular Scottsdale tree lighting to have our Christmas picture taken Megan came over to our house to take our picture.  What a great friend. 

Yes.  Ginger wore a holiday shirt.
Here's a sneak peek.

Seriously.  Did you think I was going to actually show you the picture before sending our cards out?  Speaking of cards.  Would you like one?  We've got extras.  Leave a comment with your address or facebook me or email me.  If you've gotten one in past years then I have your address. 

Can everyone say a prayer that my multitude of symptoms get better?  If you're not comfortable with prayer can you get a voodoo doll that looks like me and do a healing ceremony?  No needles please.  Or cherry pits.  I've seen The Witches of Eastwick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gotten cards in years past, but do you have my new address??
Megan

Megan said...

Natalie - Do you really have two friends named Megan who have moved this year? How do you do this girl? I know you have my address since you've nearly been our live in nanny lately. Hope you are all the way better soon!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel