Thursday, July 14, 2011

My new favorite thing

I've had a problem with a certain space in this house since the day we moved in.  It's a section of wall in the hallway that leads from the living room/dining room to the bedrooms.  Technically, it's the hallway, but the problem is that this is the wall you see when you walk in the front door.

And it's just so empty.

I've tried to put little tables there.  I've had a little basket there.  I put a decorative picket fence there for a while.  Nothing worked.

Two weeks ago I bought this awesome plant from a store that is going out of business.  It was a steal.  I love the huge copper pot.  It reminds me of a cauldron from Harry Potter.  You can't see them in this picture, but there are big ring handles on each side.
First we tried the plant on the floor.  It looked stupid.

Then we put the plant on this plant stand just to get it off the floor.  It still looked stupid because the plant is much too large for the stand.
Last week Spencer and I popped into Kirkland's, mostly just to waste some time.  They were having a big sale on their furniture.  So I did what I've been thinking about for two years.  I bought a console table to put on the empty wall.

I bought this console table.  It was almost as cheap as the plant.
I think the result is lovely.
I moved around some accessories that we already had so I didn't have to spend any more money on this little project.  Side note:  if you take the paper cover off of any hardback book the book will look really scholarly and decorative.  Case in point:  that red book is a Judy Blume novel.

The table is my new favorite thing.

Until I start on the baby's room, of course.

5 comments:

Maryellen said...

Nice job Natalie! That table looks really great!!

Krista said...

Beau.ti.ful! I love a good (and inexpensive) console. In fact, I think consoles should be added to my list of addicions, along with accent tables & lighting. I have more than we have room for!

The GVZs said...

Love it. And you mean,Judy Blume isn't scholarly??

Cat said...

I like it!

Megan said...

Just a post to say I am reading your blog dispite my lack of comments...commenting from the iPad is harder...and I'm lazy! Love it...and the farm theme in the previous post!