Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fall

I live in the wrong place. I know this. I accept this. It doesn't make my craving for fall any less real.

I long to live in a place where the leaves change color. Where there is a crispness in the air starting in mid-September. Where you can go to an outside activity in October (pumpkin picking, perhaps) and wear pants and not overheat from doing so. Where you can wear a sweater or a scarf and not look ridiculous. Where you can decorate with fall decorations and not feel like an idiot because it's 93 degrees outside in mid-October. Where you can sip apple cider and it feels warm and cozy because there is just a slight chill in the air. I look forward to these things every single year and am disappointed every single year when fall doesn't come to Phoenix.

This is what I want my life to look like for the next 3 months:
It depresses me to no end that this is more my reality:

Moving on.

Last year I bought this sign in July. I tried not to. I resisted during two trips to Michael's arts and crafts.
I'd like accolades that my first fall decoration purchase of 2010 happened a whole month later, in August. I kind of love it. I kind of already have it displayed because the fallness of it is quite subtle.
P.S. Let's not talk about the Christmas ornament I bought today. Damn you Hobby Lobby!

6 comments:

chelsea said...

I have a slightly different approach. I have so much crappy knick knacks that I can hardly fit any more. Then, the day before (ahem) each holiday I throw one or two things up. Then, I leave them up all year. It's a vicious cycle really.
I like your approach better.

Michael said...

Yeah, blame it on Hobby Lobby. Right.

Maryellen said...

Oh, Fall. I love it too. Your loot is awesome.

elizabeth said...

ahhhh...a girl after my own heart...been thinking about fall all week too...it was that night here in sc that got down to 65 degrees that got me started : ) now we are back in the 90's...

Jennifer said...

I am right there with you. I LOVE fall and we don't really get a traditional fall season here. August in Houston has been brutal so I am ready for cooler weather!

I too fell prey to the Hobby lobby pressure. I bought an ornament for Eliza last week and then felt so ashamed for buying Christmas gear in August!

Cat said...

Okay, after reading that, I now feel less guilty about the fact that I bought Halloween hand towels for the bathroom today. I won't put them out 'til Oct. 1st, but I saw them at Target and they were only $2.50 for a set of two so I couldn't help it...