Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Glorious weather at the park

I was driving home from work yesterday and felt a real sense of urgency to take the kids to the park.  It's supposed to be 87 (87!!!!) on Saturday and that is borderline too hot to be at the park.  After 5 days in the 80's we're supposed to "cool down" to the 70's again, but still.  I can see summer looming in the not too distant future.
 
I put both kids in light short-sleeved shirts and off we went.  With snacks.
 
First we had a picnic in the shade.
 




Then we fed the ducks and then we played on the equipment.....all of which I have no pictures.  After the park we went to the library.  We haven't been to the library in a long, long, long, long time.  Like, an embarrassingly long time.  We used to take Spencer once a week, but after Elliott was born and we were in lockdown we just slowly stopped.  I want to start taking Elliott to storytime though, so we're going to start back up again.
 
The kids each got a few books and I picked up this 480 page gem. 
I just finished reading Gone Girl, which I loved up until the very end.  Hopefully this one is successful and enjoyable until the last page.
 
When I got home from work today Spencer asked if we could go back to the same park again because he wanted to feed the ducks and play on the equipment.  I didn't feel like driving that far (it's about a 12 minute drive) but we did compromise and agree to go to our old neighborhood (about a 2 minute drive).  Our old neighborhood has a bunch of lakes full of ducks and a park with equipment.
 
It was almost 80 degrees so Spencer wanted to wear his USA outfit.  Elliott has about 7 minutes left to fit in his so we took advantage of it.
 
We brought some hamburger buns for the duckies.  Elliott gave me 12 heart attacks as he stood close to the water and threw bread in. I just knew for sure I was going to have to go in after him.


Spencer and I both thought this duck looked strange.  Spencer thinks he is old.  He actually called him a grandpa duck.  I think he may have a touch of albinism.

After we ran out of bread we headed to the park.  I spent hour upon hour upon hour at this park with Spencer.  It was nice to be there again with both kids.


 
 
Spencer wanted to climb a tree and have his picture taken.





 
Spencer has half days tomorrow and Thursday for parent-teacher conferences.  I have a feeling that we'll be spending some more time at the park this week.

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

Seriously, this weather is insane. It's pants in the morning, tank tops in the afternoon. I feel like I'm going through "the change".

Looks like you guys had a great time!