Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Schedule

Spencer's last day of school was on May 29th.  The first week of June we went on "vacation" to Flagstaff.  The second week of June we had Elliott's hepatology appointment and some other random things happening.  The third week of June was when we finally got our act together and came up with a summer schedule.
 
This is it:
 
Splash Pad Monday
Allergy Shot and Bass Pro Shop Tuesday
Something Awesome Wednesday
Dorothy Thursday
Allergy Shot, Storytime and Out To Lunch Friday
 
We've got 5 weeks to stick to the schedule before Spencer starts kindergarten.  This week Tuesday will be off because Michael is switching his day off. Next week will be interrupted (on Thursday and Friday) by the 4th of July holiday.  Three weeks from now Monday will be interrupted by kindergarten placement testing.  So we really have just two weeks to completely stick to the schedule, but whatever.
 
These are highlights from week one of the summer schedule.
 
Splash Pad Monday
(Our goal is to go to a different one each Monday.)
 
Elliott was wearing one of Spencer's old suits.  It was so stretched out and just kept getting worse as it got wetter and wetter.  I finally took a hair rubberband and tied it up in the back.
 
I put that suit in the trash when we got home.
 
Not on the schedule, but we decorated for 4th of July that afternoon.
 Bass Pro Shop Tuesday
(Bass Pro Shop is having free activities for kids every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.)

Spencer shot a bee bee gun.
 
And shot a bow and arrow
 
And did some fishing.
 Something Awesome Wednesday
(I decided what to do for day one at 11 pm on Tuesday night.  I had never even heard of this place)
 
We went to the AZ Hall of Flame Fire Museum.  It was cheap and pretty fun.
 
This bell was LOUD!


 
There was one fire engine that was OK to play on and climb all around.  We spent a lot of time there.
 
Elliott's shirt has a fire fighter monkey on it.

 
 
A white fire engine?

 
There was a pretty cool play area.  That's where we spent most of our time.

There was a play house (just a bedroom and a kitchen really) that had all sorts of fire safety information.  Elliott was unconcerned about fire safety but very concerned with opening the oven door and then slamming it shut 768,000 times.



 
It was Spencer's idea to pretend like he was climbing the ladder in the picture.



 
A fire bus?

 
Dorothy Thursday
I have no pictures from when Dorothy was at our house.  Sorry.  I can share this from when we went to Target after I got home from work.
Storytime and Out to Lunch Friday
(We've been going to story time at Barnes and Noble on Friday mornings for a looooong time, but the out to lunch part is new.)
 
Ms. Tina, who does story time every week, announced that Spot would be coming to visit about 6 weeks ago.  Spencer and I have been counting down the days ever since then. 

 
He was so excited.



We went to Chompies for lunch after story time.  Spencer wanted a bagel and cream cheese and that is an option on the kids menu, so I ordered that for both of them.  I got both of them a blueberry bagel and strawberry cream cheese.  Would you have thought to ask about allergens in that combination?  Good for you if you would, but I didn't.  And I didn't notice until after Elliott had started eating that the strawberry cream cheese was full of almonds.
 
What the hell Chompies?  Almonds in strawberry cream cheese?  Really?  Elliott didn't eat any big chunks of nuts, but I'm sure he consumed some amount of almonds.  He didn't have any sort of reaction, but according to those in the know, you typically have an allergic reaction to food during your second exposure. 
 
Maybe we'll have Elliott eat an Almond Joy in the ER for our Something Awesome Wednesday this week.  Except he hasn't had chocolate yet, so it would be hard to pinpoint the reaction. 


1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh what an awesome summer schedule! Wish I was that good at planning. It seems crazy that he'll be starting back to school in just 5 weeks. Isn't it still crazy hot when they start back? Our schools here had started getting out of school earlier in May and going back earlier and earlier in August. I thought that was crazy because they are paying to air condition schools in the hottest time of the year. I am glad they have gone back to getting out in June and going back in late August. Of course, you know we love the picture with Smokey! :-) I know you are probably more worried about allergies because of all of Spencer's issues, but hopefully, little E will be just fine. I guess I haven't been as worried because I never had allergies to contend with and neither of my kids every seemed to have any issues. Although I do think I would like to try a gluten free diet because I think that might cause me some issues, but it just seems so hard.