Monday, June 10, 2013

Our summer "vacation"

We are not really taking a vacation/trip this summer.  I only have the first two weeks of July off from work and Michael is trying to save most of his vacation time for the holidays because big plans are brewing for December. 

We're going to go to Tucson for the weekend a couple of times in June and July, but our biggest outing was that we spent a few days at my aunt and uncle's house in Flagstaff last week.  It was nice to get out of the heat for a little bit.
 
Elliott had his blood draw Wednesday morning before we left.  It went about as well as you would expect.  He screamed and cried and fought us, but at least they got his vein on the first try and the whole thing took less than a minute.  His haircut, which he fought just as hard, took 20 minutes.
 
I'd like to not see his arm looking like this again until he's at least a teenager.
Wednesday eveing my aunt and uncle made us dinner and we ate on their back patio.  Their house is right next to a lake.  There was a beautiful sunset that night. 
 
This is the same view on Thursday morning.
Spencer was 5 years 9 months on Thursday so we thought we'd get the ol' monthly picture with a beautiful background.
 
But the lighting wasn't right.
 
The lake was lovely, but his face was too shadowy.

 


We decided to take a break for lunch and headed over to the campus of Northern Arizona University.
 
We saw some interesting art,
 
and let the kids roam free.

 
Elliott went down for a nap and we thought we'd try again.
 
These were my directions to Spencer:
 
"look at the camera and smile".
 



The kid can do multi-digit addition and subtraction in his head, but looking at the camera eludes him.  I don't get it.
 
Another break was needed, so we decided to feed the ducks even though it is against the Homeowners Association rules.  Shhhhhhhh!


 
This little guy was cute, but very aggressive.
 
One last chance.  Spencer, just look at me.
 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Look right at me.  Right here (I start snapping right next to the camera).
 
Spencer!  What are you doing?  You are NOT looking at me! 
 
Oh. My. God.  Just look at me.
 
No.  That's even worse.
 
Finally I started making ridiculous noises like farm animals dying and that got his attention.
 
His attention and his laughs.
And then we saw a snake so we got the H-E-L-L out of there. 
 
Up next:
 
We took the kids on a ski lift.  

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Hahaha! You are to funny with your commentary about picture taking of kids....I know your frustration well! They do it on purpose you know to see how mad or silly they can make us act. That lake view is incredible...I want to visit! I want to hear more about December's plans...Christmas on the east coast maybe where we have "real" Christmas trees. ;-)

Jeannette said...

Ellie now has 3 canned photo poses:
1) Looking to the left
2) Looking to the right
3) Painfully fake smile that's so big she ends up squinting her eyes closed.

I usually have to catch her off guard to get one of her actually looking.

Also, I can't believe there was still snow. That's just crazy.

Jeannette said...

Also, I totally meant to put that last part on the post that actually had to do with snow. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm all caught up on my stalking now. :)

Cat said...

Try getting a class full of kindergarten students to look at the camera at the same time. I feel your pain. Minus the snake of course.