Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Baby Whisperer and Tucson

Chelsea texted me on Thursday night.  She was going to be in town on Friday and wanted to know if she could stop by.  I was going to say yes anyway, but then she bribed me with an offer of Starbucks.  Double yes!

It was actually perfect timing.  We had planned on taking an impromptu trip to Tucson that day because my grandmother had taken a turn for the worse.  She's had double pneumonia and was not doing well.  We were afraid that if we didn't go immediately we would never see her alive again. 

 Chelsea got to our house just as I was getting ready to pack.  She was able to hold Elliott while I got everything ready- no small feat with 2 kids that both have extensive medicine regiments. 

Let me just say, Chelsea is a baby whisperer.  Elliott was totally calm the entire time he was in her arms and even fell asleep for a few minutes.  I was able to get all of our packing done stress free.  Thanks Chels!

We got to Tucson on Friday afternoon.  Elliott screamed all the way to Casa Grande, then fell asleep until we got to Marana, then screamed until we got to my parents' driveway.  So much for our anticipated sleeping in the car baby.  We had planned on going to see my grandma when we got there, but then one thing after another happpened to prevent us from going.  We ended up going on Saturday, and actually, by the time we got there she was doing so much better.  They started her on a new antibiotic and that has made a big difference.  She's not going to live for another decade or anything, but for right now she is out of the extreme danger zone. 

Saturday afternoon we went to Michael's parents house.  We haven't been there since Thanksgiving weekend.

Spencer picked a grapefruit on steroids.  It was his inaguration into all the picking he did the next day.
Elliott had an intensive staring contest with Papa.

We left Spencer with Grandma and Papa for a sleepover on Saturday night.  He talked about it all day in anticipation.  Let me tell you what a difference having a 2nd baby, and one with some serious medical issues, makes in the parenting of your 1st baby.  Six months ago I would have been beside myself with anxiety about leaving Spencer. And not because I don't think Michael's parents can't handle him, but because that's the nature of leaving your first kid when you've only ever done it twice in his life.  Now, I was thrilled to get a break and didn't think about him once. Not even for 10 seconds.  He had a wonderful time.
There was a lot of grapefruit picking.  All of them are on grapefruit growth hormones.

Spencer spent his first 4 months in a swaddle.  Sometimes I would reinforce it with an ace bandage.  We break out the swaddle for Elliott when he won't go to sleep or he is fussing when we are trying to eat.  Works like a charm every time.
Look at that gorgeous face.
I just want to nibble on him all the time.

We saw Dr. Miloh today.  Elliott has finally broken the 8 pound mark.  It was an informational appointment and there is much to discuss.  I'll have a full report soon. 

P.S.  Spencer is 4 and a half today. 

3 comments:

Maryellen said...

Your family looks great Natalie!! If you ever want to see the opposite of the baby whisperer effect give me a call. I think babies can smell my fear.

Also, that is the biggest grapefruit I've ever seen!

Chelsea said...

This post made me smile, as I remembered holding that little ball of love. Anytime my friend, absolutely any time!

Megan said...

I hope to have Chelsea's talent when I get to hold that Godson of mine all day (well for 5 hours) one day a week!