Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spencer stuff, nursing and Pinterest

This post is kind of all over the place with topics.  You're cool with that, right?

I had three funny stories to tell about Spencer.  I had written the blog post in my head.  It was hilarious.  Then I waited too long (we've had a difficult week) and  now I can't remember the third story.  Like, I really can not remember any part of it, not that I just forgot the details or the dialogue.  I'll probably remember at 3:00 in the morning when I'm up with Elliott.

Anyway, Spencer has been saying the funniest things lately.  And not just funny things.  He's also saying intelligent things and higher order thinking things and abstract thinking things.  It's amazing.  Maybe because I am now comparing him to a 6 week old, but he just seems so much older and mature.  

Funny story #1

Spencer was practicing writing his whole name (first, middle and last) on the blackboard while Elliott was nursing.  Spencer was having a really hard time with the A and the Y.  I couldn't exactly get up and write them for him so he was getting frustrated.  Then I was thinking it was a good thing he's going to do preschool again and not start kindergarten in the fall.  His birthday is right after the cut-off and I have agonized over starting him next year or not.  I had been feeling really good about giving him another year before starting.  Then, in that moment, I doubted myself again, because what if he is bored in another year.  So I asked him if he wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument.  He thought about it.  Like really thought about it.  Then he said yes.  I asked what kind of instrument.  Just as I said "violin"?  he said "a tuba". 

Can you just picture Spencer (in the 10th percentile for height and 20th for weight) playing this thing?  How does he even know what a tuba is?  I've certainly never said that word to him.

Funny Story #2

  My favorite place to nurse is in the recliner in our bedroom.  It's the most comfortable chair, the arms are perfectly spaced and it supports my back.  Since it is in our room I brought a bunch of Spencer's toys  in there to keep him occupied.  We pretty much don't leave our room until around 11 am every day.  So, I was nursing Elliott and Spencer was playing with his toys.  He was doing something sciency.  I don't remember what exactly.  I told him I thought he should be a doctor when he grew up.  He asked why and I said because he was smart and he would be good at it.  He thought about it and said, "No thanks.  I think I will just get a job doing construction and painting."

Aim high, baby.  Aim high.



While I was typing this he came over to me, put a toy fishing pole on my arm and said he needed to take my blood pressure.  There is still hope.

If I remember the third story I'll come back and put it here.

When Spencer was a baby I watched a lot of tv while I was nursing.  It was all I did.  During that time Michael mentioned that he had never seen The Shining and I was able to tell him that it was on TV on Bravo at 3:00 the next Thursday.  That's too much TV watching.  I no longer have that luxury because I don't want Spencer watching all that TV. 

This time around I am on my phone all the time.  Facebook got old fast. Then I remembered pinterest.  I joined a couple of months ago, but hadn't done much on it after initially setting up my boards.  No more.  I'm addicted.  I love pinterest.  I have Elliott's first birthday party all planned out.
The only disappointing thing is that on my phone I can only repin stuff.  No original pins until they invent an app for droids.

I've found some of the coolest activities for kids.  Last weekend we took a bar of ivory soap, cut it into fourths and microwaved one chunk.  It was awesome.

Elliott is going to be 6 weeks old tomorrow.  I still feel like I can't put him down.  I think that I will recover from his first 4 weeks of life in the next 4 years.  I just want to hold him for forever.  Megan let me borrow her moby wrap.  It's OK, but I'm not enthralled.  We have a snugli, but I worry about it's non-ergonomicness.  We thought about getting an Ergo, but I was put off by the cost and the fact that the baby can never face out.  So, I did some research and found the Belle Baby Carrier.  It is ergonomic, comes with an infant insert, is cheaper than the Ergo and the baby can face out.  Pretty excited to get it delivered next week.
One more funny from Pinterest


3 comments:

The GVZs said...

If you end up not liking the Belle, check out the Pikkolo. It's basically the Ergo that can face out and it's awesome.

Megan said...

Hadley also plans to play the Tuba! I'm not sure what it's all about!

Cat said...

Perhaps he can put himself through college on a tuba scholarship?