Monday, July 24, 2017

Mostly just going out to eat a thousand times

Last Tuesday, also known as the last Tuesday of summer vacation, Michael was off from work.  We've been talking about taking the kids to the wave pool in Tempe for probably, oh, seven years, and felt like this was finally the day.  The wave pool is only ever open from 1 pm- 5 pm and in discussing why we had never been before decided it was because we have always had a kid that needed to nap in the afternoon.  And even if they didn't need to nap, we needed them to nap. Ha. This is the first summer that nobody is napping. 

We got there a few minutes before 1:00, so we were in the pool the first time the waves started.  The waves go for 15 minutes then turn off for 12, on for 15, off for 12 all afternoon.

The slide is open when the waves are off. 

Spencer figured out that you really get slammed by the waves when you're close to the wall. 

After the wave pool Michael took the kids to swim lessons and swim team and I went on a lady date with Maryellen to celebrate her 40th birthday. 

We went out to eat at a Mexican food restaurant in Mesa, then went to see The Big Sick. 
On Wednesday Spencer went to a play date at Cole's house and Elliott and I went to a doctor's appointment at Phoenix Children's Hospital.  We're back to the hepatologist, which may or may not be "something".  I'll report back after we have blood work and an ultrasound done. 

We went to lunch at Matt's Big Breakfast after the appointment.  This is a popular spot in downtown Phoenix, but now that I've been there I don't think I understand the fuss.  It was OK.  Not great. 

We went shopping for back to school clothes at Arizona Mill's mall after lunch and then I needed a sedative from that experience. 

On Thursday I took pictures of all the 4th of July decorations.  I'm sure we did something else that day, but heck if I can remember. 

Thursday evening was meet the teacher night at school.  It was fantastic going to just one school this year. 

Of course Spencer has to have a facial injury for the beginning of the year.  He smacked his chin on the pool deck at swim team practice. 

We went to the cafeteria first to put money in their lunch accounts and to find out info about the bus route. 

Then we met Elliott's kindergarten teacher and did kindergarten curriculum. 

Then we met Spencer's teachers (two teachers for 4th grade) and did 4th grade curriculum. 

Then we went out to dinner because I have lost the ability to do any cooking. 

The kids got special drinks. 

The adults got special meals. 

On Friday Spencer had an appointment with his allergy doctor.  It lasted so long that we missed our last movie for the summer movie club.  There are actually two more weeks of it but we obviously can't go to them because of school. 

We did some more back to school clothes shopping that morning and then spent the rest of the day chilling at home.  

Then, I know you're shocked, we went out for dinner.  Michael ordered a shot.  This is the one picture I took all day. 
So, after a very lenient summer I am proclaiming that Michael and I, and the kids to a lesser extant, are getting back on track with healthier eating.  It starts tomorrow. 

No comments: