Wednesday, October 27, 2010

You Spin Me Right Round Baby Right Round

We'll get to the 80's flashback song in a minute. First, a little background.

Spring 1999

My uncle (a professor at the University of Arizona) gave me a bunch of information about the National Student Exchange. I decided I wanted to do it, but I didn't want it to delay my graduation, so I applied only at schools that had my major and minor. I also wanted to go somewhere really, really different from Southern Arizona. My top 2 choices were The University of Hawaii at Manoa (duh) and the Univeristy of New Hampshire. I got matched with UNH. I attended school there the fall semester of 1999. My roommate was a girl from Mass named Megan.

Megan and I became fast friends that semester. We had only known each other for 2 weeks when she took me to her parents house and Cape Cod for my 20th birthday weekend. I think my birthday was actually on Labor Day that year. Her parents had a birthday dinner for me complete with a cake with 20 candles. They also gave me a little stuffed animal that I still have (although it's technically Spencer's now).

Here we are in front of our dorm room. #321. Mint things happened in this room.Fast forward to 2005. I visited all of my New England friends over my fall break. Remember Cathy who was here in AZ over the summer? Yep, that's her standing with Megan. While I was on this trip Megan and I went to the Christmas Tree Shop. That place has a very inappropriate name, because they have way more than Christmas stuff. It's like a Big Lots or Hobby Lobby type place. Anyway, Megan bought this singing crow. We were pretty obsessed with it as is evidenced by this photo.
Megan proclaims herself to be my #1 reader (although she is not my #1 commenter, ahem ahem) and she had a special request that the bird be featured in a special edition Halloween blog. I'm more than happy to oblige. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is the bird (circa 2010) on Megan's mantle.And a video, so you can see why we were so obsessed with this awesome crow.



5 comments:

jess said...

i (megan's cousin) have a bird of prey as well. we keep him up year round because we LOVE HIM SO!!!!

WATCH OUT HERE I COME!!!

Anonymous said...

This is your most amazing blog ever! Ha, those are the most hideous pics of me I've ever seen! I need to get out to AZ so you can take better pics & I can be featured on the blog again.
-Megan of 321

Megan said...

I think it's a bummer that in your picture in front of Rm 321 you are standing under each others names. Being the Type A person I am if I had taken your picture I would made you stand the other way around! Maybe when Megan comes to AZ we can recreate the photo and I can take the picture CORRECTLY!

PS - Natalie who does leave the most comments. I know it's not me. Us Megan's have to stick together on reading but not commenting.

Laura said...

CIRCA!!!!

Cat said...

I remember you visiting, I remember the Liz concert, I remember spending the night at Megan's, but I cannot remember posing with that crow! Oh, but speaking of that trip...Turn Around...do you remember that? P.S. Do you like how I am a month behind in reading your blog?