Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Nutella, sea lions and the beach

San Diego Day 3 found us at my favorite bakery/breakfast spot: St. Tropez Bakery and Bistro. You must go if you're ever in the area. Their lemon tart is my favorite.

My dad got the nutella crepes. He was pretty happy at the beginning. He was nearly gagging by the end. Nutella is delicious, but in mass quantities is thick and hard to swallow. Those 2 crepes probably had a good 3/4 of a cup of nutella between them. At 200 calories per 2 tablespoons, that's....dear lord. We won't even talk about it.

Spencer wanted to show off his breakfast too (take note of the windbreaker. It was a chilly morning and we LOVED it!).

After breakfast we headed up to La Jolla for a visit with the Sea Lions.I'd take one home with me if I had somewhere to put him/her. I get the impression they would not be satisfied with a plastic pool from Target and Ginger as a playmate.Spencer was less impressed than I had hoped for. We spent the rest of the day beaching it up. The water was pretty cold so we just built sandcastles and looked for shells and rocks. Michael went all the way in, but he is a bit crazy.



This is my mom's version of "sunbathing". At least she'll have pretty skin when she's 90.
Yes, my dad did wear jeans to the beach.
He's also very sun conscientious and last exposed his legs to the sun in the mid-1960's. As a result, this is the actual color of the skin on his lower body:
We made an award winning sand castle. Then Spencer stomped on it.
He also chased some sea gulls. They were not amused.

It was a wonderful day at the beach (even though we brought nothing to drink and we all needed IV hydration by the time we left).
Dinner found us at Old Town enjoying a Mexican fiesta. Spencer was dancing up a storm to the mariachis. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures that night. Well, I can, because I've become a lazy bum about picture taking, but you would think I'd be better on vacation.

Day 4 is coming soon.

Here's a preview:
Shamu
Sting rays
Dolphins
Sharks
Beluga Whale
Walrus

3 comments:

chelsea said...

Looks like fun. I must say though... THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING REALLY, REALLY WHITE. There. I said it.

Laura said...

Whitey. Ha.
Bring on the hot guys!

Cat said...

Reading your blog makes me want to go back to San Diego!