Saturday, October 23, 2010

Baby-sitter

Megan's nanny had to have surgery at the end of September. She's not allowed to return to work for a whole month. Megan asked if Spencer and I could come over for baby-sitting duty a couple of days. Megan's a good friend. Of course I said yes. I asked if I could bring Ginger too. Megan's a good friend. Of course she said yes.

Just in case there was any confusion about the subject matter, spaghetti is not a good lunch choice when you are feeding a 1 year old and a 3 year old.


The beagle brigade set up shop under the highchair. They thought spaghetti for lunch was a brilliant idea.
Our after lunch activity was a bath.
Hadley tried to stand up in the tub. Spencer said, "no, no Hadley. Sit down." Then he stood up.
The beagles slept.
After I dressed Hadley in what turned out to be pajamas (really? I had no idea), she and Spencer played together.
And then they played separately.
And then I realized that they really could be brother and sister. They're 23 months apart and they have the same hair and cheeks. Different parents, but, whatever.
And the beagles continued their nap time.
We had a snack (organic and non-organic puffs).
And the beagles slept.

At one point Hadley slept (for a long time), Spencer slept (for too short a time) and I may or may not have slept on the couch for like 3 minutes. Then Megan came out of her office (she works from home), then Michael showed up after work, then Scott came home from work. Then we ate a dinner that came 100% from the freezer but that we all agreed was reasonably healthy and qualified us as good parents for feeding it to our children.

We'll be back for more baby-sitting next week. I'm thinking about feeding the kids rice, beets and maple syrup. Tiny, stainy and sticky.

4 comments:

Maryellen said...

Sounds like you make a great baby sitter. It's amazing how much dogs sleep. Syrup for next week sounds like an awesome idea to me.

k and j said...

hhahahahaha. hilarious and darling as usual :) spencer sounds like an awesome kid!

Megan said...

Thanks Natalie for watching my little one! I think Haddie would make a great little sister.

Cat said...

Dogs sure have the life, don't they?