Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Mother's Day 2017

I could sum up Mother's Day in one sentence and skip the entire post, but that feels like it would be a bit boring and a total let-down.   If I did though, this would be the sentence: We ate a lot. 

The day started with Michael taking Ginger for a walk and then going to get breakfast burritos.  I was supposed to be sleeping in, but I woke up at the same time as him.  



My morning was spent with unwashed/unbrushed hair and no make-up.  My apologies to everyone. 

The kids wanted to do presents right after breakfast.  Still unwashed/unbrushed hair and no make-up. 

Yikes.  I'm like some sort of horror movie star here. 
Elliott did this at school.  My eyes are NOT red and green, my hair is NOT brown and I rarely take naps.  The rest is pretty accurate. 

Spencer made this m&m question gift at school. 

There was a different question to ask each other for each color m&m.  We did it that morning. 


Spencer's answers. 
Michael and I were walking through Target a few weeks ago when I mentioned I would like to have a grinder attachment for the stand mixer. 

So, bam, grinder attachment for the stand mixer. 
After presents there was some lounging around and general tomfoolery.  Then I actually took a shower and made myself look presentable. 

All I ever want for Mother's Day is a nice picture with my kids that doesn't take tears and 4 hours to get.  This was the first year in 10 years that I got it. 

It was so successful we decided to try one with Ginger too. 

After pictures we drove to Tempe to try out Hurts Donut.  It was basically our lunch.

We ordered half a dozen.  One for each person, one for adults to share and one for kids to share. 
Michael and I were supposed to share the maple bacon, but there was all sorts of confusion and a break-down in communication and it didn't happen, because there was an extra charge for this specific donut. 


I ended up with the S'mores, Spencer got a glazed, Elliott got a cotton candy, Michael got a chocolate peanut butter cup, the kids shared a brownie donut and Michael and I shared the Jesus, which was a churro donut.  I still don't understand why it was called the Jesus. It ended up being a cake donut though and I hate cake donuts.  It almost ruined the whole day.  Also, you saw the selection of donuts and how immense it was.  My two children could not decide on anything to share because they are both jerks and they both rejected anything the other suggested strictly to be difficult.  So I picked the brownie one for them and they were both pissed about it.  


Elliott was totally set on the cotton candy donut but then he was straight up angry that it came with real cotton candy on it and refused to eat the cotton candy or anything it was touching.  So then we told him we'd never buy him another donut in his life if he didn't eat it and all of a sudden he changed his tune and ate it. 


After the sugar coma we drove out to Queen Creek to look at model homes.  We just picked a random new development right off of the freeway and had ourselves a grand old time.  We ended up going to 15 different houses for about 5 different builders. 

These are from all different houses so don't even try to figure out which rooms go together because I can't remember. 

This one had a lovely outdoor living room

We thought it was cool that this sign had Spencer's birthday on it. 


This was a bedroom, but they styled it like a den.  I liked the walls. 

We saw some interesting light fixtures. 

This was a separate room right off the entry way.  We couldn't figure out what it was.  What is this room?  It's not a game room, or a tv room.  It's not really a craft room.  It's definitely got storage.  But it's not a pantry or an office.  What the hell is it?

I'd like a living room in my bedroom. 
We saw a couple houses that had little casitas separate from the house.  I'd love to have one of these.  A little studio apartment in your yard for guests.  This was the bedroom part of the casita. 

And the living room part.  
I took a picture of this because my parents had this entire set of Childcraft books when I was a kid.  I think they still do.  I wonder where the designer found them. 
We saw a fascinating studio model home.  I have never in my life seen a studio house.  No separate bedroom, all just one room. 


I can't imagine having my bedroom basically right next to the kitchen with no wall. 

One of the houses had two pigs in it and I was tempted to steal both.  But I didn't. 


I liked this brick patio.  We'd like to do something like this in our backyard.

Ah, isn't this the dream? A fireplace wall. 

So you can enjoy a nice roaring fire in your home gym on the other side of your bathroom? 

This house was 6,000 square feet and had a movie room.  Yes please. 

I loved this superhero room. 

And this 1,000 foot tall fireplace. 

Awesome bookshelf that would never look like this in a real home. 
And finally, another casita that had a bedroom, living room and kitchen.  We all decided we wanted to stay and spend like four hours there. 


But alas, we didn't.

After all of the model homes we came home and ordered Indian food for dinner. 

And then, like an hour later, because we hadn't eaten enough, we went out for ice cream. 


I can't remember what flavors everybody else had, but I had Almond Divinity and Coffee Toffee. 

Finally, we waddled home and waddled to bed and vowed to not eat for, like, two days at least. 

It was a great Mother's Day, and I will be burning off the extra calories until at least Saturday. 


1 comment:

Cat said...

Those are some nice homes! Oh, I now have a craving for donuts. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a donut, maybe October?