Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Stars and Stripes Forever

Here are a few tidbits that you may or may not know about me.  I don't know if I've ever blogged about this or not.  It's a side effect of writing more than 1,000 blog posts.
 
#1. I love the 4th of July.
 
#2. I love red, white and blue decorations.
 
#3.  I cannot hear God Bless America or The Battle Hymn of the Republic without crying.
 
#4.  When I was young and naive I envisioned an adulthood living in an absolutely enormous house.  This house (we're talking like 6,000 square feet) was to have a formal study in which I would have a huge mahogany desk, a brown leather couch (with flag throw pillows) and floor to ceiling patriotic decorations.  I was going to have the state quarters displayed in beautiful shadow boxes, amazingly accurate framed copies of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and stunning framed artwork depicting important Americans like Paul Revere, Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln.  One entire wall would have the American flag painted on it.  It was going to be awesome.  I'm a little sad it won't ever happen.
 
Back in early April, pre-Easter, I went to Joanne's Fabric and saw that they had an entire selection of 4th of July decorations already on display.  I was pumped, but totally not in the mood to shop for a summer holiday.  I went back a few weeks ago excited to do some shopping and found that.....there was nothing left.  Great.  So I went to Hobby Lobby.  I strolled down the one aisle of 4th of July stuff and then turned into the next aisle of.......Fall.  Are you kidding me?  They had 3 aisles of Fall and 4 aisles of CHRISTMAS (for crying out loud) but only 1 aisle of 4th of July.  A holiday that is occuring RIGHT NOW.  And that 1 aisle was pretty picked over.
 
Ugh.
 
This is what I managed to put together for this year.
 
Front yard



 
I bought this last week.  I hung it inside of the wreath on the front door.
 
Dining room
 

 
Inside of the front door
 
The entry way

 
This little guy is new.  He's from Old Navy. 
 
This is new too.  I found it at Kirklands.  I'm going to write a whole post about this wall tomorrow.  Get excited.
 
Coat closet
 
Pantry
 
Window behind the kitchen table
 
Family room entertainment center
 
Mantel

Backyard

 



2 comments:

Sherry said...

4th of July is probably my second favorite holiday (behind Easter, of course) because I too love red, white and blue decorations. You definitely decorate more than anyone I know though. First prize for holiday decorations to Natalie! :-)

Cat said...

Looking good! I have that problem with Thanksgiving decorations. I go to look for them in early November and there is NOTHING, but in August, I'm just not in the mood to buy turkeys.