Sunday, December 13, 2009

Geech and the weekend

Geech has been living with us since my parents have been on their fabulous Panama Canal cruise. We'll have him for almost 3 weeks. All of a sudden it's like I have 3 children. (Isn't it cool that I captured the pillow mid-air as Spencer threw it off the couch?)

Geech is actually very sick. He has cardiomyopathy, a condition where the heart becomes inflamed and deteriorates. When he was diagnosed in August, the vet didn't think he would even come close to living to Christmas. While Geech will never get better and will ultimately die from this condition, at his last visit the vet said he was not in immediate danger of dying. That was good news because I had already told my parents that I refused to watch him if I had to make critical decisions about his final days.

Geech has always been a pretty high maintenance kind of dog. Throw his serious illness in and it's like I'm taking care of a pretty independent teenager that only cares about eating (Ginger), a 2 year old (Spencer) and a breast-feeding newborn (Geech). Geech's medication makes him lose his appetite, so I end up feeding him little meals, BY HAND, up to 8 times a day. And not the same thing at each meal. Sometimes it's dry food, sometimes it's prescription high calorie canned food, sometimes it's other canned food, sometimes it's steak (I think my dad has spent no less than $5 million dollars on steak for Geech), and sometimes it's pasta (weird, huh?). Then there is the regiment of pills that I have to throw down his throat. I should mention that Michael is helping with a lot of this, God bless him.

Geech and Ginger rotate sleeping together on all of our furniture through the day. We also share our bed with BOTH of them at night. When are my parents coming home again?We went to Tucson this weekend. We stayed at my parents house. Geech was pretty pissed that my dad never came home. Spencer had a little cold that triggered his asthma in a major way. He sounded like an 80 year old smoker with COPD. We went to urgent care on Saturday morning where we were told he was actually doing very well- he just sounded really bad.

On Sunday afternoon we were at Michael's parents house. Spencer was pushing a toy airplane around on the tile. He slipped and fell forward and smashed his face into the floor and the plane.

Nice bruise. Just in time for the holidays. It's the first time that Spencer has pointed to an "owie" hours after it happened and said "boo boo". We gave him some tylenol because I really do think it hurts. My poor baby.

3 comments:

The Yager Family said...

Poor Spencer! Hope he feels better soon - both in the lungs and face!
Good luck with Geech :)

Maryellen said...

So for now your blog is "Two doggies and a Baby."

Natalie said...

Actually, it could be "A Beagle, A Black and Tan Coon Hound and A Baby". That's pretty wordy though.