Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Beginning of the year crazies

Does anybody else go a little nuts at the beginning of the year?  While I don't usually come up with specific resolutions (last year being an exception for which I failed miserably) for the year, I do tend to try to work on general clutter and organization at the beginning of each year.  I generally go full scale and overboard for about a month before I feel better.  And then I get another burst at the beginning of the summer.  And sometimes another burst when school starts again.

This year has been no different.  I have been wanting to make some freezer meals specifically for breakfast because I feel bad about giving my kids cold cereal most mornings, so last week I made a big batch of breakfast burritos for Spencer.


I also figured out how to store this tree without undecorating (that's totally a word even if spell check doesn't recognize it) it first.  I just put it in a garment bag and wrapped it with a sheet before zipping it up.  It just sits in the attic all year, undisturbed and untouched, so it might as well stay decorated, right?

That's the sheet.  I forgot to take the picture before zipping it up so I unzipped it specifically for blogging purposes.
Not having to do with organization, but Spencer turned 7 years 4 months last week.  We got the photo shoot done minutes before he went to bed.  That was a close one.  Oh, and FYI, he wasn't wearing pants in any of these pictures.  I had already almost forgotten that, and it's a tidbit I want to always remember.








Official
I'm also trying to be better about walking to the bus stop to get Spencer, instead of driving.  The bus stop is at the end of our street.  It's probably 12 houses away but I always wait until it's too late to walk.  Elliott likes to sit on this wall to wait.

Ginger got a new collar for the new year and I hung all of her old ones and seasonal ones in a single location in the laundry room.  That's organization, right?
The weather has been lovely, so although I just want to stay inside and work on the house, we've been playing in the backyard a lot.


New slippers for a new year.

During a major kitchen island clutter and desk clutter overhaul I decided that it was time to get rid of some of the cooking magazines I never look at.  I did keep the last 2 years of Bon Appetit, but all the rest went bye-bye.

So did Martha Stewart Living.
In general "I want things to look nicer" projects, we finally took down this 1980's-esque light from the front porch.  We bought a new one, but due to electrical complications, it is not hanging yet.


Oh, and I did do some minimal decorating for New Year's.

And played around with filters one night.




And finally, I bought this shelf to go in the master bathroom, but it was too big for where I wanted to put it, so it found its way to the kitchen.  It's the first time I have felt really good about the organization for Spencer's homework and school stuff.  Elliott will join right in (with the backpack, but not the homework) when he starts preschool in July.

4 comments:

Jeannette said...

I have such a hard time getting rid of magazines. The most ridiculous part is that I'm sure I could much more quickly find any article I might want to look back at on the respective magazine website than try to find the correct issue.

Have we ever discussed how long you plan on doing "month" pictures? Will you make the boys send you pictures from college? What am I saying? Of course you won't. They can't be trusted. You will obviously drive/fly/jetpack (we'll have those in a decade, right?) over and take the official picture each month. ;)

Sherry said...

I feel the same as you with always wanting to start the year with so many good intentions of organizing, decluttering, and this year with taking over Brody's preschool lessons. I know I will lose momentum in the next month or two and will likely take a break in March because of all the craziness. I foresee him having a whole month of "Spring Break." Haha! I should probably do a better job feeding my kids better breakfasts, but Evan is so picky and would eat so slow in the mornings that he would never be on time for school so I figure for now, simple is best. Brody has not been loving breakfast much lately either. We were doing pretty good this summer with our smoothies and healthier eating habits. Sigh. And I just love that you had to tell us Spencer wasn't wearing pants. Haha! He will really appreciate that little piece of information one day. ;-) Oh and how about the craziness of all that lovely green grass in January! I think you should just consider January Springtime in Arizona, you know? Cocoa will not be getting seasonal collars until her butt stops growing. We have purchased four collars for her since September. Sigh. She is sporting a lovely aqua blue one for now which does look lovely against her dark hair. And I totally understand the playing outside instead of working inside. We have done that since Friday when we finally got a nice warm and dry reprieve from all the wet, chilly weather we have been having. This week is just so lovely here getting into the 60's everyday! That Elliott is just too cute cuddling his Snoopy. I can't wait to see the new light on the front porch. I know how you feel about those outdated brass fixtures. I think ones like yours were very popular around here in the 80's and early 90's. And I love love love that shelf for their school stuff! Right now, Evan comes in and drops his in the pack and play that is still up by our back door. I know, I know it should have been taken down a long time ago, but it is handy for storage. Haha! I have been hunting for a nicer entryway piece for storage of shoes and stuff, and I hope that will get done after we find a new house that hopefully has a better layout. ;-)

Cat said...

I don't get the organization ambition at the beginning of the year (that's always when I try to eat healthy, then fail, then star again in late Feb). I do, however, tend to get on an organization declutter kick over my winter break (late Feb) and again in the summer. Sometimes over spring break too. I have been making progress this week, not as much as I should, but progress nonetheless.

Cat said...

I meant to say start not star*