Sunday, May 13, 2018

Burial ceremony in Tucson

On Friday the 4th (May the 4th be with you) we were in Tucson to attend the burial ceremony for both my grandparents and my aunt Karen. 

We've been waiting a looooooong time for a Veteran's Cemetery to open in Southern Arizona to be able to do this.  My grandfather died in 2005, my grandmother in 2012, and my aunt Karen in 2017.  I should mention they were all cremated. 

The flag was at half-staff in their honor.  

The administrative office. 
My grandparents went in one plot.  My aunt in another.  Someday my uncle will join her.  My parents will also be buried here, but they will not be in a plot by my grandparents/aunt and uncle.  They will go wherever is the next in line when we have their burial. 

The men from the cemetery placed the boxes in the holes.  That sounds awful.  But, does placed the boxes in the open graves sound any better?




Then we all added dirt. 









Did anybody even consider taking my picture?  No.  What an absurd notion. 

Then we waited to the side while they finished. 

We got some family pictures while we waited. 



They were very methodical about the whole thing. 

They played taps from a large speaker in this building. 

We walked over there after.  It was an outdoor chapel. 

All of the military seals were displayed inside. 





After the ceremony we all went to breakfast.  Nick, Michael and I had bloody mary's. 



After breakfast we spent about an hour at my parent's house, and then we drove back home.  Michael dropped my off at my work on our way back to I could attend a meeting.  I normally don't go to work on days I'm not scheduled, but since we were driving within five miles from there I made an exception to the rule.  It was a bust, because the parents didn't show. 

After that I went to happy hour with my friend/co-worker Ellen and then Michael, the kids and I all went to Joni's birthday party.  I took zero pictures at her party, mostly because I was exhausted, but also because I was drinking wine. 

1 comment:

Sherry said...

This was such a special post, my friend. I am so glad you guys finally got a veterans' cemetery close to home. Yes, I feel your pain about no one taking your picture. Sigh. I also feel you about no "appropriate" word to use to describe a grave or burial plot. I still don't like saying we are visiting Mattie's "grave." It just doesn't sound right. Come on, English language, help us out! Oh and I love that dress, by the way! I really love florals right now.