Sunday, December 10, 2017

Botanical Gardens 2017

We got an early start on Saturday the 2nd.  We needed to pack up, get out of Tucson, drive home, and get me to Mesa by 2:30 to meet Maryellen. 

We stopped for donuts on our way out of town. 



So very many choices.  I ended up with a peppermint bark, which was delicious but incredibly hard to eat because of the hard chunks of peppermint in the bark,

and a fluffernutter, which was just plain delicious. 
I took this to send to Brendan, because I had been giving him a play by play of getting donuts and getting out of town. 
Maryellen and I met at Starbucks at 2:30 and then drove together to Shireen's.  We got there at 3:00.  

We all contributed food (I brought soup and bread) to the buffet and had a late lunch/early dinner. 

I brought these too. 



After we ate it was time for our gift exchange.  We played a game with dice to pass the gifts around a bunch of times.  It had things like, if you roll a three you trade with a gift to your left. 

And then it was time to head to the gardens for the luminarias.  It was scorching hot this year.  I think it was like 72 degrees when we got there. 

We did the photo booth twice.  Once with props and once without.  It was not easy fitting seven of us in there. 


Beautiful luminarias

The Gardens always have different art on display.  This year there were pigs.  Or are they dogs?  Or are they bears?  It is left open to interpretation. 






We thought this was a nice spot to take some group pictures. 






This dang tree blocked my view of Simply 3, one of my favorite groups. 


Enjoying Simply 3. 



We always enjoy our time in the hut. This branch became a jacket/purse hanger. 

Poor Brenda got lost in the dark. 

So I lightened the picture (a lot) to find her. 




Hands


Some more art work. 

We almost always take a picture in front of the poinsettia tree.  I should do a comparison collage. We've been going for six years, but I missed the first year, so I probably have five pictures like this. 



After the luminarias were done, Maryellen, Joni, Cynthia and I drove over to a restaurant/bar to see Blaine performing with his full band.  I always take my picture with him and then text it to Joni.  This year I had Joni take the picture and then I texted it to her.  

Blaine thought that this was about the fifth time that we did this. 


And even with ALLLLLLLLLL of that, I still made it home before midnight.  Barely.  

No comments: