Monday, October 9, 2017

Catching up on ancient history- week 2

 I almost skipped blogging tonight, but then I would have messed up the schedule on the second post so I said no to myself.  We're plowing through this catch-up.    

Let's go back to Sunday September 17th.  I had actually driven home late on Saturday night.  I got home at midnight.   Michael and the kids stayed in Tucson until Sunday afternoon.

I came home early because I had a 12:00 date with my Sisterhood to see a free screening of the movie Swim Team.  Here's a synopsis:

 In New Jersey, the parents of a boy on the autism spectrum take matters into their own hands. They form a competitive swim team, recruiting diverse teens on the spectrum and training them with high expectations and zero pity.

SWIM TEAM chronicles the extraordinary rise of the Jersey Hammerheads, capturing a moving quest for inclusion, independence and a life that feels winning. "Swim Team is a probing, honest, and uplifting look at the challenges that young autistic people and their families face as they "age out" of services after high school. It's also a beautifully filmed and sensitively paced portrait of a group of autistic people of color who give their all to take their team to the state finals for a chance to swim at the Special Olympics. You will not soon forget these wonderful young swimmers, or the struggles of their parents as they refuse to allow their kids' potential to be limited by society's low expectations for their future."

Joni and Shireen weren't able to make it, so we were a Sisterhood of Four. 

After the movie I found turkey plates at Home Goods,


and fairy tale pumpkins at Sprouts.  Did I mention it was, like, 105 degrees?

I worked on Monday the 18th because I took Wednesday off.  It was a great day to take pictures of the car my parents gave to us.  We've named her Cary, which is a combo of Larry and Carol. 


I worked on Tuesday the 19th.  I wore the bracelet my parents brought me from Russia. 

I also stopped at H&M on my way home.  I thought the placement of these flowers was a little odd. 

Wednesday the 20th was Spencer's appointment at the Severe Atopic Dermatitis Clinic at Phoenix Children's Hospital.  They gave him an adult size gown to wear which was pretty ridiculous. 
We were there for four hours.  We met with eight dermatologists total, an allergist, two child psychologists, a social worker and a dietitian. The end result is that he's being sent to the Mayo Clinic for patch testing to determine atopic allergies.  
Elliott needed some cuddles on Wednesday evening.  We were sitting on the love seat, which is the coldest place in the house when the AC is on.  Hence, the blanket. 


I worked on Thursday the 21st.  My mom and dad came up to our house while I was at work.  This is what I came home to.  Wearing the same outfit, because I am my mother. 

Spencer had to photobomb. 

And I had to get pictures of Ginger. 


Elliott turned his poster project in and presented to his class on Friday the 22nd.  

He doesn't have a jellyfish shirt, so we made do with a shark. 

And we fixed the typo. 
We went to a memorial service for my mom's good friend from college on Saturday the 23rd.  We were coordinated, but not matching. 


The service lasted for a while.  Like more than two hours.  We kept Elliott occupied the best we could. 

My mom made some beautiful art too. 
And then, because we had a babysitter Michael and I went out on a date on Saturday night.  We saw the Kingsmen Part II.  It wasn't great.  We also ate at Cafe Zuppa.  It also wasn't great. 

1 comment:

Cat said...

As someone who has worked with children with autism, I think that movie sounds fascinating. On another note, love the bracelet.