Thursday, September 7, 2017

The day I turned 38

Last year (2016), when I turned 37, my birthday was on Labor Day.  No work.  The year before (2015), when I turned 36, it was on a Saturday.  We were in San Diego and spent the day at the beach.  No work.  In 2014, when I turned 35,  my birthday was on a Friday.  I would have worked, but that was the day Spencer had a three hour dermatology appointment to get into an eczema medication trial.  So, no work.  In 2013, when I turned 34, my birthday was on a Thursday and guess what.  I went to work!  So, you have to go back to 2013 to find the last time I worked on my birthday.   And just because I was curious: I didn't work in 2012 (it was a Wednesday), 2011 was Labor Day again (no work), 2010 was on a Sunday, 2009 was a Saturday, 2008 was a Friday and I didn't work, and 2007 (Wednesday) I went to work but left to go home at noon in terrible pain because I was in labor and didn't know it. 

Anyway.  My birthday was the day after Labor Day this year.  Michael left for work hours before I got up, but he left this really heartfelt and sentimental note on the kitchen island. 
I worked a pretty regular day.  I had therapy sessions the whole day.  A kindergarten class did sing to me though. 

The kids were itching to do presents when I got home.  Luckily I got to leave work early because of my really long 11 hour work day the previous week.  

Elliott took my picture with my presents.  Nice job, Elliott. 


My first gift was a pint of Halo Top.  Apparently Michael had been hiding it in the freezer for a week. 

White Musk oil from the Body Shop.  I've been using that perfume since I was 15. 

Michael picked these tops all on his own!


I mentioned about nine months ago I wanted a butter crock.  He actually remembered! 

Family pictures

Then it was time for dinner.  We bought a Groupon for the American Poutine Company.  So yes, we ate about 18 pounds of fries for dinner.  

This one was Bacon Cheeseburger.

BBQ pulled pork with gravy and cheese curds.

The original.  Fries with gravy and cheese curds. 

Philly Cheesesteak 
We did not even come close to finishing all of them.

The sunset, mostly because of the sun, was amazing that night.  I just couldn't ever get the sun because of too many trees. You can kind of see the flaming ball behind the trees here. 


After dinner we stopped at a bakery and picked up some treats to bring home.  

This was a chocolate chocolate-dipped cupcake with peanut butter mousse. 

Fruit filled eclair

Strawberry tart

Banoffee Pie (banana toffee)
The dessert crew.  We all shared all of them.   And honestly there was one other thing.  Some kind of delicious bar, but we forgot it was in the box (it was wrapped up) and then we ate it before we could get a picture. 


Individual pictures with my dessert crew.



After dessert the kids went to bed.  Then I took a picture of the countdown board as it was the night before Spencer's birthday. 

And finally, we decorated Spencer's door so he would be surprised when he got up the next day. 


And that, friends, is what happened the day I turned 38.  Riveting stuff, people. 

No comments: