Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The new weekend

Since I started working my new Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday work schedule my weekends consist of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  So, depending on what happens during those days (like, how busy we are), I will just start speaking of Friday through Monday as "the weekend".  As we get into the busy holiday season it will probably change, but for now we'll stick to the plan.

Last Friday, the 11th, were school pictures. 

Elliott showing his "school picture" smile. 

And what he hoped they would not make him do. 

Spencer said this was his school picture smile. 

I said absolutely not, but this is hardly better. 

While the kids were at school I got a delightful delivery.  I had "ordered" a free mug from Shutterfly. I say "ordered" because I just paid for the shipping.  Honestly, how does Shutterfly stay in business?

I decided to use our family Halloween pictures for the last four years.  I'll do another mug when we have four more years.....if the kids continue to tolerate such nonsense. 

Each picture shows a different picture/part on the mug.   

2013

2014

2015

2016
The kids got into a huge fight with each other before we even made it home from school on Friday so they got banished to their rooms.  With doors closed. 
On Saturday Spencer went to a play date at a trampoline place, Michael and Elliott did some stuff I don't even remember and I had lunch with some SLP friends.  I met all of them in 2004 when we all worked in the same district.  It was my first year as an SLP. 

There was a gorgeous sunset that night, but the pictures from our backyard did it no justice. 


Saturday night I did my first pedicure entirely with Jamberry wraps.  It was difficult and doesn't look great, but it's my toes so nobody can really tell. 
We got up on Sunday to an entirely crippled Ginger.  Her front left paw was totally swollen and she could put NO pressure on it.  She was alert the whole day but really immobilized.  We ended up carrying her outside to the grass every few hours to keep her from walking.  It was really sad. 
Michael and Spencer stayed home that day and watched Harry Potter 6, and Elliott and I went to IKEA for breakfast and some shopping.  We bought two new balloon wall lights for his room, but I haven't taken pictures yet.  Ginger has occupied too much of my time.  We also went to Target and Ross where I bought new curtains and curtain rods for the kitchen.  Again, no pictures, because Ginger. 

I did manage to get a picture of this nonsense though. I went with an early 2000's hairstyle on Sunday afternoon for my workout.  It was the first time in, really, ever, that I kept my hair from falling in my eyes during burpees and whatnot.  I think it's my go-to workout hairstyle now, even if it looks totally ridiculous. 
Michael hung up these little pictures that day.  It's taken almost five years for me to find the perfect thing to hang on this tiny wall in the dining room.  And yes, I realize the quality of this picture is awful.  Let's blame it on Ginger again.   Each pictures shows a recipe for a classic drink.  I'll take a better picture soon.  

I made grain free coconut breakfast porridge for dinner that night. Lots of fresh fruit and cinnamon on top. 

Elliott picked new jammies out at Target that day and he wanted his picture in them before bedtime. 

I called the vet's office at 7:30 am on Monday and made an 11:00 appointment for Ginger.  I was really concerned about her foot and walking ability.  She had gotten worse all day Sunday and I was up with her almost every hour during the night because she couldn't stand up on her own so she was panicking and just scratching at the floor.  Monday morning she couldn't even stand up without her back feet falling out from underneath her.  There were about five minutes yesterday morning that I thought she was going to die that day. She had also developed a little cough last week that I was going to call about anyway, but the walking was definitely the most pressing issue. 

They brought in a basket of snacks for me in the exam room.  I had nothing. 
\Her walking had improved in the last couple of hours, but she was still sliding on the floor and losing her balance.  She was not happy to be there. 



She also walked under this table and got stuck. Which was just sad. 
After much discussion with the vet, a panel of lab work, and a bunch of x-rays, Ginger was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia most likely caused by Valley Fever.  The pneumonia is for sure, but the test for Valley Fever takes five days.  The foot issue and balance seems to be the result of a spider bite or scorpion sting, given how quickly it came on, the severity of her symptoms and how quickly she is recovering.  We got more pain pills for her, a 10 day course of antibiotics and we'll come up with a new plan once we know the Valley Fever results. I really could not be more pleased with the results.  Valley Fever won't be a picnic, but compared to say, congestive heart failure or a lung tumor, we can deal with it. 

She was one tired girl last night. 

No comments: