Thursday, August 31, 2017

Play dates and donations

I always feel so proud of myself when I blog about events that happened less than a week ago, so I'm forcing myself to write this instead of watching TV just so I can feel that internal pride.  The second I'm done, though, I'm going to start watching Feud: Bette and Joan.  I finished Fargo (Season 3) last night and The People vs OJ Simpson earlier this week.  My TV and movie watching catch up plan is going splendidly. 

Back to last Friday. August 25th. I went to Tempe Marketplace and Trader Joe's in the early afternoon.  As I was driving home I saw this truck.  If I was a car thief I would have stolen it.  I need to drive this every day.  Or maybe just have somebody come paint that pig on my car.
That evening my friend Elisa came up from Tucson to stay with us with her two boys, Max and Theo.  Elisa's husband had been out of town for two weeks so she needed a little "out of the house" time. 

Spencer was a bit too old and cool to really get in on the play time, but the younger boys had a lot of fun together. 

Spencer was quite helpful with Theo (two years old) though.  Especially reading to him. 


We sent Theo home with a bunch of Thomas the Train stuff because Elliott never really got into Thomas. 


Elliott and Max asked if Max could sleep in Elliott's room, so we set up a bed on the floor.  Theo needed to test it out first.

Amazingly, both kids slept in there together all night. 

It was Max's first "sleepover" although his mom was right across the hallway. 
On Saturday the 26th Elliott had a playdate at our house.  He has become good friends with a kid named Malcolm in kindergarten, so Malcom's dad brought him over for about 3 hours. We're planning another one at their house during Spencer's birthday party next weekend. 

Unfortunately I have 0.0 pictures from Saturday. 

On Sunday the 27th I made blueberry scones for breakfast (grain, sugar and dairy free). 

I used the very last drop of McCormick vanilla.  It took exactly a year to use the whole bottle, which I find awesome and fascinating. I opened the new vanilla we bought in Mexico, but I'm fearful about using it since a lot of Mexican vanilla has coumarin in it and will kill you.  I bought it at the Sam's Club in Rocky Point.  What do you think? Safe or not?

Scones
Michael and I have become obsessed with making our own cold brew coffee at home. It's been quite the process.  Maybe I'll do a whole post about it.  Anyway, we got a new cold brew filter that fits in a mason jar.  This was the first batch. 
We spent Sunday afternoon cleaning out our closet and putting together a give-away pile for Salvation Army.  I'm finally letting go of these candle holders.  I bought them either the December that we got married (but before we got married) or the next December which was our first Christmas/1st anniversary.  And as I type this I think I might go take them out of the pile and keep them for another year.  Maybe I will get skinny jar candles to put in them.  I just can't seem to let go. 
We have the water tables to our neighbors.  We got the one on the right when Spencer was 18 months old in 2009, and the one on the left when we moved into this house, so probably early 2013. 

I'm equal parts: good riddance and sad my babies have outgrown water tables. 
The pile for pick-up.  The stack of dresses on the right are formal dresses I'm going to donate to A Cinderella Affair, so girls can wear them to the prom. 

Including the whole outfit from Travis and Brendan's wedding.  

1 comment:

Cat said...

We did some serious cleaning this past weekend too--donated clothes, decorations, and movies. (Okay granted yours was three months ago, but you know, in reading land we're on the same page).