Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Mostly spices and Spencer's black eye

Sorry for my nearly week long absence. I had to finish some continuing education this past week so I could renew my state license for the Arizona Department of Health Services.  It was a pain of the biggest variety, but now I'm good for another two years.

An entire week ago on Sunday (the 21st) we went to the Waffle House for breakfast and then, since we were in the area, we stopped into Penzey's so I could redeem my free BBQ spice.

I've never seen Sweet Ginger Bits before.  I might have to buy them if only to take a picture with Ginger holding the bottle.

They had a new coloring table set up for kids and then you could hang your picture on this mast. 
Spencer did this all on his own.  No input from us at all.  I was very impressed.  It says, "Penzey's is the fire flower to my nose."
I bought a bottle of apple pie spice to finish off my spice collection.  Can you believe that we use all of these for different purposes?
That afternoon I was peacefully minding my own business when I got an email from Kirkland's about their fall preview day that started in 20 minutes.  They also reminded me I had $10 in rewards to spend.  

So, this happened.

After that I made a sugary, oatmeal topped apple crisp for my family, 

and a sugar free almond meal topped apple crisp for me.  I used the apple pie spice for both.
On Monday I made my first pie spice enhanced pot of coffee at the suggestion of Jeannette.  I might just do this year round from this point on. 

This was hanging in the hallway outside of Elliott's class that day.
I am adamant that I don't just let him play video games all day long, but here he is drawing a picture of him and Spencer playing video games. 
Monday night the kids were rough housing with each other and just as I told them to stop before somebody got hurt Elliott accidentally headbutted Spencer.  The blood filled hematoma was apparent within 5 seconds.  I nearly rushed him to urgent care but was urged (ha, ha, see what I did there?) by several people to wait.

This is about a minute later.

About five minutes later.

About 20 minutes later.  I didn't edit the color at all.  That's how big and dark it got. 

The next morning, on Tuesday, the hematoma had flattened out, but he had a nice shiner. 

I worked on Tuesday and then worked out when I got home.  I had been done for all of 30 seconds when Ms. Ginger decided to take a nap on the yoga mat. 
I talked to Elliott's OT, Mr. Chad on Wednesday, and part of our conversation was about how childish our days are because he's a pediatric OT and I'm a pediatric SLP.  On Thursday I sent him these pictures to show him how mature my day was. 

Spencer did his annual fun run on Thursday to raise money for his school.  He got almost $9 a lap ($8.50) in pledges and he ran all 35 laps.  He actually ran more, but they only count up to 35.
And finally, Friday was National Dog day and it wouldn't be National Dog day in our house without forcing Ginger to participate in a family picture.  
Saturday and Sunday were actually fairly busy and fun days so my next post might not put you to sleep.  Plus, we've got birthdays and a birthday party and travel coming up in the next two months, so my late summer blogging slump appears to be coming to an end.  Thank God. 

1 comment:

Cat said...

How have I never heard of cake spice? Do tell! I'm going to assume Spencer is okay since I am several months late reading this...