Friday, February 6, 2015

Library books

I am always thinking about new blog posts in the very back of my mind.  It's not something that takes up real thought and it certainly doesn't take up a lot of time, but each time something cool or funny or interesting happens I think, "ooh.  Blog post."  I guess that makes me a true blogger.

My mind was wandering while I was making dinner the other night and I realized that I had a whole post ready to go regarding the topic of library books.  Yes. Library Books.  Riveting.

Spencer is allowed to check out two library books every time he has library at school.  He has been checking out Pete the Cat books specifically for Elliott  because Elliott loves Pete the Cat so much.  I think that's really sweet.  He brought one home on Tuesday and read it to Elliott immediately.  

I did a post last year (at the end of April) about all the books I had been reading.  You can go HERE if you are at all interested in re-reading that post.  But if not, a quick recap.  One of the books I read was called The 5th Wave.  It was so unbelievably good.  I still can't believe how good it was.  It is the only book I have ever carried around the house and read while I walked from room to room because I just couldn't put it down.

The second book of the series came out in the fall.  A mixture of laziness and procrastination kept me from reading it immediately.  But I checked it out from the library a few weeks ago.  It was not as all encompassing and amazing as the first, but it was still a fantastic read and I highly recommend it.   It has a huge, jaw-dropping bombshell towards the end and a cliff hanger ending and I am counting down the days for the third book to come out this fall.
Elliott and I were at the library for story time a few weeks ago when I found this book.  I LOVED this book when I was a kid.
I opened it and was immediately thrown back in time to when I was five and sitting in my parents bed with my mom reading this to me.

I always loved this page.

And this page.

And especially this page.
I did not get the humor of this page when I was a kid.  The whole book up to this point is about real bunnies and this page says "Rabbits like to get all dressed up if they are going to be in a storybook."  Hilarious, Richard Scarry, hilarious.
And I always wanted it to be Easter when it was on this page.  I could just taste that chocolate bunny's delicious ears.
The next book I am going to read (after reading Bunnies about 9,000 more times) is Golden Son.  It is the second book of the Red Rising trilogy.  I have my name on the hold list at the library and should get it soon.  I bought part one on the kindle but had a really hard time reading it on the kindle.  It was just a really challenging read because of the subject matter and I think it was harder on the kindle because I couldn't easily flip back when I needed to.  So I want a real book this time, but I don't really want to buy it.  I'm OK with being patient for it.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh my goodness, Spencer reading to Elliott is so sweet. I love when Evan reads to Brody, but I usually have to "suggest" it. And this post totally reminded me that I had planned to read several of the books on your book post. I do think we have similar taste in reading as we both like sci fi thriller fiction books. I am definitely still going to read The 5th Wave because it sounds really good. And oh my, I can't believe I haven't read that bunny children's book...you know how much I love bunnies. I will be looking for that one! The Red Rising series also sounds like one I would enjoy. I don't know why I haven't been in a reading mood lately besides reading Percy Jackson and Harry Potter books with Evan at night. My brain just can't focus for very long right now. Hopefully that fog will be lifted soon!

Jeannette said...

What an awesome big brother!! I love, love, love it.

I know that bunny book! Why do I know that bunny book?! I know we never owned it, but I definitely had it read to me more than once for me to remember it. Now that we go to the library weekly, I keep trying to remember the books I loved as a kid, but so many of the memories are "you know, the one with the popcorn!" or "there was a family of clowns, but not creepy ones", etc. Unfortunately, the library search engines can't figure out my memories.