Thursday, July 24, 2014


Are you ready to finish this? 
After our lunch at Castle Burger in Castle hill we headed for The Hideaways, which is basically a huge tree house with all sorts of tunnels and slides and obstacles.
I should mention that on our way to Legoland I spilled a little bit of coffee on my (new) shirt.  Then when I walked through these rubber things I got streaks of black rubber on my shirt.  Thanks a lot Legoland.  The shirt is currently soaking in oxiclean and one of these days I might try to wash it.

Elliott climbed through this tunnel and the only ways out were back through the tunnel or down a slide.  He refused to go down the slide but was obviously not happy about coming back through the tunnel.
There was a fun looking roller coaster called The Drago in Castle Hill but Spencer had taken a firm "no roller coaster" stance for the day, so we headed on to Land of Adventure.
Spencer was tall enough for Dune Raiders, but Elliott was not.

Then on to Cargo Ace which we were all tall enough to ride.

Then it was on to Imagination Zone.
Michael doesn't like spinning rides so just Spencer and I went on Bionicle Blasters.  This is the lego version of the tea cups.

I had just finished really drying off from our soaking in the morning, so I made Michael go on the Aquazone Wave Racers with Spencer.

Then we went to the Build and Play zone.  I think the kids liked this the best of anything the whole day, which is funny, because we could probably pretty easily build this in our own home.
First they designed their car.
And then they raced them.
Over and over and over.
And a few more times after that.  All the big kids had really elaborate designs.  Elliott's car (the one closest to Elliott) had 1 brown square and 1 red square on top.  He consistently won every race.
Then we somehow found ourselves back in Miniland USA for a Coast Cruise. 

A quick hop, skip and a jump later and we arrived in Fun Town. First up, Sky Patrol.

And Spencer got his license at Driver's School.
Then Spencer begged for us to go on Sky Cruiser.  It was the longest line, by far, that we waited in all day.  It was about 30 minutes but it felt like 3 hours.  Luckily there was a fun lego play area in the middle of the line of the kids to play in while their parents patiently waited.
The Sky Cruiser ride is powered by the riders pedaling their little cars.  Elliott's legs were too short, so I did all the work.

It was hard work, but the view was really pretty.  The track was up pretty high for most of it.

Duplo Village was up next.  Spencer saw this little train ride, The Legoland Express, in the back and immediately ran for it.  I think it was meant for toddlers, but he proclaimed it his favorite ride of the day.  They went on it about 5 times in a row.

Then we headed to the Lego Movie Experience where we saw real sets from the movie.

Elliott found some water to play in while Spencer looked at and bought a Lego book in a gift shop.

Our very last ride for the day was the Safari Trek.  I tried to convince Spencer to go on the Coastersaurus in Dino Island, but he would have none of it.

And then, just like that, we were back at the beginning and we were done.  We didn't see any shows and I think we went on about 1/4 of the available rides, but the kids had a great day and that is all that matters.
At about 5:00 pm that day I had booked a hotel room about 6 miles from the park.  We had been debating driving all the way home after leaving the park at 8:00 pm, but it took us getting to within 3 hours of that time to realize it was a terrible choice.  We checked into the room, got some food and ate in the room and then we all went to bed.  I was sharing a bed with Elliott and I think he was asleep within 15 seconds.  It was remarkable because about 20 minutes later Michael and I were laughing about how we didn't know if it was funny or sad that the room was so loud.  We were right by the freeway and the traffic was just deafening plus there were people outside talking and slamming doors.  But we all got a decent night's sleep (more decent than in the car and arriving at home at 2 am) and had a lovely morning the next day before coming home.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I love it all. The train ride would definitely my boys' favorite ride too although Evan might have enjoyed riding the Coastersaurus with you. We'll have to plan a trip together so he can get Spencer to ride it next time. That animal safari looks so real. If people didn't read your post and just glanced through your pictures, they would likely think it was a real safari. The pandas look especially real...matches the mommy and baby pictures we took at the D.C. zoo. Glad you made the choice to get some rest before the journey home. Sounds like a great trip!