Monday, January 13, 2014

Post holiday reality

Twelve people slept at our house on Saturday night.  That should be explanation enough for my absence the last couple of days, but I will also be blogging about those festivities soon.
 
In the meantime here's a little recap of our first post-holidays week.
 
Elliott caught up on his sleep during naptime on Tuesday.  We're still working on getting totally back on our pre-holiday schedule.
We sold my grandma's house and closed on it last week.  At the last minute, during the last clean-out, my dad offered and I accepted my grandparent's backyard glider.  We put it under the trees so we can sit under the shade.


We were enjoying the glider when we noticed there was an awesome sunset developing.  It got better and better as the evening went on.








On Tuesday night Elliott woke up around 11:30.  He finally fell back asleep sometime between 2:40 and 3:10 am.  I was not a happy mama.  He took an almost 4 hour nap on Wednesday to make up for his night-before antics.  I had to wake him up at the almost 4 hour mark so we could go pick Spencer up from running club.
 
I took 640 pictures first.
 
I just love sleeping 2-year olds.  They still look like real babies.





We made a quick stop at Ross after we got Spencer.  Spencer brought some of his Christmas money and bought this Spider Man rocket launcher.  It was $3.99 and has already provided hours of entertainment.



 
Then they took a long bath and wore robes while eating dinner.

I worked on Thursday and then had a doctor's appointment after work so there were no pictures from the day.  That night after the kids were in bed Michael spent a ridiculous amount of time creating a battle scene for Spencer to find in the morning.  Let me repeat: a RIDICULOUS amount of time.

At the beginning of the school year I volunteered to teach Art Masterpiece at Spencer's school.  Art Masterpiece is a national art enrichment program that uses reproduction of fine works of art to promote art literacy in children. Various artists are presented on a monthly basis to each classroom followed by a hands-on art project.  The whole program is run by parent volunteers.  The entire lesson is already scripted and the supplies are provided by the school. 
 
For a variety of reasons I wasn't able to do my first lesson until Friday.  I had wanted to teach Spencer's class, but there was already a volunteer in there so I was paired with a 1st grade class.  I am actually going to do the last 2 lessons for Spencer's class in the spring because the volunteer in that class is having a baby in March.
 
Anyway, Friday was my first lesson.  We did bleeding tissue paper art.  Tissue paper bleeding involves "painting" with tissue paper by putting small scraps of tissue paper on wet contruction paper and then getting the top of it wet.  The color bleeds onto the construction paper and after you peel off the tissue paper it makes a beautiful painting. 
 
These are not actual examples of the art I did with the 1st graders.  I just googled these. 
 
Before peeling off the tissue paper: 
 
After: 
I was a little nervous going into the first lesson but once I was there and got started it was a lot of fun.
 
After I taught the lesson I went shopping for gifts for our Saturday event, then went back to school to have lunch with Spencer, then went grocery shopping, then went home where I worked out for the first time in a month.  Then I worked out again on Saturday.  I was so sore Saturday evening I wanted to check myself into a pain clinic.
 
Up next:
 
How it came to be that 12 people slept in our house on Saturday.


1 comment:

Sherry said...

I love that backyard glider...what a nice place to enjoy sitting on cool evenings. And aren't you pretty lucky to have two shade trees in your backyard in Arizona? It seems like a rare thing there. I also love those gorgeous sunset pictures. Our views of the sunset are often obscured by having way too many trees so sometimes it is nice to have a clearer view of the sky without obstructions. And I just love sneaking pictures of my kids sleeping. Kids just look so peaceful and sweet sleeping...no matter what they may look and act like when awake. Elliott's sweet little chubby cheeks definitely make him look like a sweet little sleeping angel. And of course, I love the picture of your "third child" playing with his toys too. Haha!