Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Goals

On January 9th I made a list of my goals for 2014. I like the idea of accomplishing goals rather than making resolutions.  It seems more do-able.
 
This is my list:
 
1) At the beginning of each month write a one page list of things to organize and then finish doing it by the end of the month.
 
2) Wash all of my make-up brushes once a month.
 
3) Every month fill a box of stuff to donate.
 
4) Save enough money to go to Disneyland in January 2015.
 
5) Paint the master bathroom.
 
6) Stain the master bathroom cabinets.
 
7) Stain the linen closet cabinets.
 
****
 
Here is my rationalization for each one.
 
1)  At the beginning of each month write a one page list of things to organize and then finish doing it by the end of the month.
 
I have all these little projects around the house that I never get to because I always say I will do them later.  Most of them involve organizing paperwork and ultimately don't take much time.  I'm tired of putting them off.  It seems overwhelming to try to tackle an entire house full of projects at once though, so by taking a whole year to do it  maybe I will be successful. 
 
This was my list for January:
A. Order monthly pictures for Spencer and add them to his album (I was only missing 4 months for Spencer).
B. Order monthly pictures for Elliott and add them to his album (I was missing 14 months for Elliott).
C. Buy a new album for Elliott and add his birth announcement, baptism invitation and invitations for 1st and 2nd birthday parties.
D. Add pages and portrait studio pictures to Spencer and Elliott's scrapbooks.
E. Buy a new portrait scrapbook and add family pictures.
F. Order pictures and add content for 2012 and 2013 for anniversary book and Christmas book.
 
This is kind of like Inception where we keep going deeper and deeper into analysis, because I want to discuss "F" a little bit.
 
I have 2 memory books that I have been keeping for years.  An anniversary one and a Christmas one.

 
Each has a page for 1 picture on the left and lines to write your memories on the right.
 
(anniversary book) 
(Christmas book) 

I have always been really, really good about keeping these books up to date.  And then Elliott was born and we had such a terrible 2012 that I didn't feel like writing anything down.  So 2012 didn't get done.  And then neither did 2013.  But since it was on the goal list Michael and I sat down one night and did it.  And it took, maybe, 30 minutes.  It was totally silly to have avoided it for so long.
 
2) Wash all of my make-up brushes once a month.
It is recommended that you wash your make-up brushes once a week.  I wash mine once a, oh let's be honest, once a year.  That's definitely not enough.  I don't think I can go from once every 365 days to once every 7 days, but once a month is possible.
3) Every month fill a box of stuff to donate.
Time to clear some clutter.  I feel like this is easier now since we don't have to save a bunch of stuff for another baby and we don't have to keep anything that we might use in our next house, because there will be no next house.
4) Save enough money to go to Disneyland in January 2015.
Elliott will be 3 and it will have been more than 3 years since we last went.  It'll be time.  We're excited.  I'm excited to go and not be pregnant and not end up in the hospital in Anaheim.
5) Paint the master bathroom.
I have no time limit on this goal.  I could do it on December 31st and it would still count.  I'd like to do it before the summer though.
6) Stain the master bathroom cabinets.
Ditto this.
7) Stain the linen closet cabinets.
And ditto this.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

That's quite a lofty list of goals, my friend, but I know that if there is one person in this world who is OCD enough to accomplish their goals/resolutions, it is you. Haha! There are definitely some advantages to being OCD! ;-)

Cat said...

I hear you on the clutter. I've been trying to declutter this week. I've done well except in the guest room, clutter always seems to end up there. I need to clean it out before you come up so you do not think I'm a slob (and because Mike needs room for his stuff). Also, I LOVE the wedding anniversary book. I want one. :)