Thursday, May 2, 2013

Size 5

I tried to post the stuff about the pool, etc. last night but stupid blogger kept messing up the pictures and I finally just gave up and went to bed. 
 
And now it all seems kind of silly in the context of what I'm about to tell you.
 
My family got some horrible news today.  A friend of my brother Nathan passed away on Tuesday.  They met in 2nd grade and my family has been friends with his family through the years.  His younger brother was in my class and another younger brother was close in age to Nick, although not in the same class.  We don't know all of the details but it is likely a suicide.  I haven't seen him since last summer when he came over for brunch, but I actually had a dream about him on Sunday night.  On Monday I went on his facebook page and was going to tell him about it (it was a totally bizarre and funny dream) but something came up and I never went back and did it.  And now I am grieving and feel just weird and sad and angry and in disbelief.
 
 
This is the original post:
 
Spencer was just begging to go in the pool last Friday.  Michael got home from work and we did some yard work and after that we decided to try it out.
 
He was a little nervous at the beginning.  We've been back in the pool every day since then and he's now at the point where he's jumping off the diving board and swimming a good distance to us, but it took him a day or two to remember his swimming skills.

 

 
We hadn't planned on having Elliott go in so he wasn't wearing a suit, but eventually he ended up in there too.


After hot showers (the water is still really cold) for all of us, I put Elliott in a diaper.  A brand new size 5 diaper.  Spencer started acting like a baby and saying that he needed a diaper, so I put him on the changing table and diapered him up too.
 
This is my new favorite picture.   
 
And this is a close second. 
I checked Spencer's baby book a few days ago and Elliott at age 16 months is the same size as Spencer at 2.5, when he was potty trained.  The last diaper he ever wore was a size 5.  It looks like Elliott will be in size 17s by the time he is potty trained.
After Spencer got tired of the diaper and put on real clothes I stuck Elliott in the diaper box.  He stayed in there for a shockingly long time.  Maybe we should utilize the diaper box as a daily baby-sitter.

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh no! That is so sad, Natalie. What could ever make anyone think that life is so bad that it is worth giving up because there is no hope it will get better? I hope his family gets some answers that help them through this. I am so jealous of the pool time and yet I am terrified of taking Brody this year because of how "fearless" he is around water. I know he'd just jump right in and will have to be watched constantly. Looks like Elliott is pretty much the same judging by his crawling on the diving board. I hope Evan gets more brave this year though. And yay for Target diapers...they are just so cute (and cheap too)! I think I have a picture from a a few months back of Evan wearing a diaper (over his clothes) from a similar circumstance. What is it with our big boys wanting to act like babies sometimes? Haha! And I am betting Elliott will stay in a size 5 for a while (maybe until potty training?)...Brody still wears them too, and they are plenty roomy.

Maryellen said...

I'm really sorry about your family's loss Natalie. That is so sad.

I love that you have a pool now. I don't know why your family would ever want to leave the house. You've got everything!

The pictures of the boys in their diapers are precious!

k and j said...

Size five!? That is wild!! I love Elliott's cute, chubby little body! He is way too cute! And him sitting in the diaper box hahaha.

Cat said...

Natalie, I'm so sorry for your loss! :(
On another note, your water is NOT cold. Come out here girl, I'll show you a cold pool. :)