Monday, April 15, 2013

Disney on Ice

Disney on Ice comes to Phoenix every year.  It's probably actually here twice a year and I just don't pay close enough attention to it. 
 
I have wanted to take Spencer for the last 2 years.  In 2011 we were doing something and couldn't and then last year was just impossible with Elliott.  I couldn't bring Elliott with us (too many germs), I couldn't leave Elliott at home (I'd be gone too long in between nursings) and Michael didn't have any great interest in going without me (plus I didn't want them going without me). 
 
I was delighted to be able to go this year. I think I was just as excited as Spencer. 
 
I decided the 3:30 show was the best option.  Not too early, not too late.
 
We started Saturday morning with some yard work and house work.  Spencer wanted to play outside.  I told him he needed sunscreen to do that.  He decided to put it on himself.
I told him it was a little too much.  He said he didn't want any part of his face to get burned. Riiiiiiiight
 
Michael was hot after doing yard work, so he took the very first dip ever in the pool.


Michael looks happy, but he was freezing.  Our pool is very big and very deep.  It's going to have to be hot for a while before the water warms up. 
 
Finally it was time for Elliott to take a nap and for Spencer and me to leave.
 
We went to Sonic first.  I wanted to load him up on junk food (that he doesn't get very often) to reduce the requests for food at the show.  His whole Sonic "meal" cost $2.50.  A hot dog at the show was like $6.  His Sonic slushy was 50 cents.  They were selling snow cones in commemorative cups at the show for.......wait for it.........not yet..........$15. 
 
I let him sit in the front seat to eat.  Don't freak out.  We were parked at Sonic.
 
He got a cone to go.  I took this before we left, not on the freeway going 75 mph. 
 Spencer reacted just the way I wanted him to.  He was giddy and excited.  We had really good seats too which helped with the excitment.
 He had brought along some of his own money left over from Christmas and Easter.  He begged to be able to buy this toy.  I'm embarassed to even say how much I let him pay for it.  He loved it though and played with it during the whole show (it lights up and spins) which he thoroughly enjoyed.
 
I took 1.7 million pictures.  You do not have to look at all of them. It's mostly just to preserve memories and for grandparents.
 
These are my thoughts in case you don't make it to the end.
 
#1.  I loved the show.  Spencer loved the show.  The music, the costumes, everything.  It was great.  I would definitely go again.  I was really amazed at how well some of the characters could skate in their costumes.
 
#2.  Every family around us that had brought a baby (there were a lot of them) ended up having one parent leave with the baby.  It was too loud and overwhelming.  I was really glad we left Elliott at home.
 
#3.  It made me really anxious to get back to Disneyland.  Our plan is to go when Elliott is 3.  That's so far away!
 
#4.  Michael and I have failed as parents. Spencer knows like two Disney movies.  His exact words  were "who is this lion king guy?"  He's going to Disneyworld with my parents in less than a month.  We need to put him through Disney movie bootcamp.
 
The Incredibles were the "warm-up" act.
 
Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Minnie were the "hosts". Spencer was a little disappointed that Pluto wasn't there at all.  I would have made the argument that dogs can't ice skate, but Goofy ruins that one.
 
Alice in Wonderland
 
 
Peter Pan 


 
The Lion King 
  
 
Snow White

 
Aladdin

 
The Little Mermaid 

 
Tangled

 
The Princess and the Frog 
 
 
The grand finale with all of the Disney princes and princesses

 
 


Spencer wanted to see the ice and have his picture taken by the ice when the show was done. 
 
Do you see what Goofy is standing on here?  I put my purse down on the edge of that to get the camera out.  Keep in mind that 487 characters in ice skates had stood on that during the show.  One second after I put my purse down a security guard came over and apologized for asking me to remove my purse.  He said that it was a precious $4 million dollar Disney wall and I might damage it.  His voice was dripping with irony and sarcasm.
 
The picture wasn't any good anyway.
 
After the show we drove home, picked up Michael and Elliott and went out for Chinese food.  

 It was a great day.  I can't wait for all of us to go together as a family.  Probably not next year, but for sure the year after.  Maybe by then we can have the kids catch up on 80 years worth of Disney movies.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Awww, I love that you are getting out this year and getting to do this stuff! I remember going to a Disney on Ice show when I was a kid. Crazy, huh? I totally would have done the Sonic thing too...hate paying exorbitant prices for food...and I love Sonic's beverages. You are giving me a serious craving over here. Yeah, I feel you on waiting to go back to Disney. I am trying to wait a few years until Brody is old enough to ride more and enjoy it, but I really don't want to. *Sigh* Your comment about being a failure as a parent for your kid not recognizing the characters in movies reminded me of the time Evan was going through pictures hanging on a display at a store of lots of characters and then got to one of Winnie the Pooh and totally drew a blank and new nothing about that character. Haha! I am pretty sure Spencer will have the time of his life at Disney World whether he recognizes all the characters or not. :-)