Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Play time

I hate it when I spend too much time doing "other stuff" during the day- stuff like dishes, laundry, general organizing, running errands, and, to be honest, facebook and pinterest.  Life is all about balance and of course some of those things have to be done, but I like to find a nice balance between taking care of life and giving real, uninterrupted attention to my kids. 
 
Spencer is starting kindergarten in July.  It happened shockingly fast.  I swear he was just born, like, 10 minutes ago.  I feel like this is my last chance to really soak him up before I lose him Monday thru Friday, 8:30 am-3:00 pm.   
 
Elliott is also just starting to really be able to play.  He is a lot of fun.  I spent hours and hours and hours playing with Spencer.  I could never get anything done during the day.  When he was Elliott's age I couldn't be away from him for more than about 2 minutes before he would start whining and come looking for me.  Elliott is much more independent and can play for much longer stretches alone, but I don't want to neglect him just because he has a longer independent play attention span. 
 
On Monday I made sure that I unloaded the dishwasher while the kids were eating breakfast and aside from registering Spencer for preschool (YIKES!), I spent all day playing with my babies (I just didn't think to take any pictures until after lunch when Spencer was at school).
 
Elliott is getting closer and closer to walking.
 
I just love his little butt.


 
After Elliott's nap we took it outside.
 
Spencer pushed Elliott around the patio for 15 minutes.  He sang Born to be Wild the entire time.

 

 
Spencer wanted me to take pictures of him throwing the basketball in the air.

 
 
Then we had this genius idea to put Elliott in the mega blocks wagon.

 
He loved it.  He happily sat in there for a long time.

Then we headed to the baby slide.  I remember thinking that this thing was ridiculously overpriced when we bought it when Spencer was 18 months.  It has been worth every penny though. 
 
 

 
The result of all this attention and play was two really, really happy kids at dinner.

 
 

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I had been missing those sweet faces...going through a little withdrawal maybe. Haha! Looks like you had a great day. Sometimes we do just need to slow down and appreciate these moments. I actually had to be off work the last two days with the boys because Brody had a little stomach bug and they had dentist appointments and then we trained a new nanny yesterday. I just so enjoyed the extra time with them (mostly Brody while Evan was at school). I hope we'll have lots more of those times this summer. :-)

Jeannette said...

Aww, looks like so much fun! I especially love the way Elliott is looking at Spencer in the one pic of both of them on the slide.

Can't wait to play with you guys later this month!