Tuesday, September 4, 2012

'Tis the Season

Sorry about the lack of blog posts recently.  We are in full on party planning mode and it is taking all of my time. 

Want a sneak peak?
Pretty cool, huh?  I'm having a very good time planning this Candy Land party.  It's candy.  What's not to like?

I want to talk about Christmas.  It's coming.  Soon.  We will be in the holiday season in less than 3 months (the season starts after Thanksgiving in my opinion).  That also means that Elliott will be 1 in 3 months.  Yikes.  I can't wait!

Last year we were going to drive up to Flagstaff and go on the Polar Express at the beginning of December.  A bunch of things happened (other plans got in the way, no where to stay, etc) and we ended up not going.  I went into labor about 36 hours after we had planned on being on the train. It scares me to think that with the added activity  I could have gone into labor while we were out of town and ended up on bed rest in a different city.

Tickets for the Polar Express go on sale in July.  To get on the Saturday 5:30 pm or Saturday 7:30 pm train you pretty much have to buy them in July.  With Elliott and his napping/bedtime schedule though, we actually prefer the Saturday 3:30 train, so we were delighted to be able to buy tickets last week. 

I found this image from google.  It's from the AZ Polar Express train.

We are all so excited.  Well, Michael doesn't really care and Elliott doesn't really know, but Spencer and I are so, so, so excited.  We're talking about it every day.  The plan is to drive to Flagstaff on Friday afternoon and stay with my aunt and uncle.  They are living up there full time now.  Prior to this past summer they just spent summers up there.  We'll go on the train on Saturday and then drive home on Sunday. My parents are coming with us as well, so it will feel like a real celebration.  We hope there is snow.  Spencer has never seen real snow (he saw fake snow when I took him to a "snow day" at a local preschool.  Remember that?  I got into a fight with that jerk of a dad when he yanked a toy right out of Spencer's hands).  He keeps talking about how he wants to make a snowman and a snow angel.  It'll be December so we're crossing our fingers that there will be a storm before we are there.

In anticipation of going on the Polar Express we went to Carter's this weekend and bought matching Christmas pajamas for 50% off (the kids are encouraged to wear pajamas).  Spencer insisted on jammies with Santa on them.  There were some cute polar bear ones and some cute reindeer ones, but he says that Santa will like the Santa pajamas the best.  He also says that we need to bring a gift for Santa.  What does one give Santa for Christmas?  Hmmmm.





I can not wait.

P.S. Today is my last day of being 32!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Those pjs are just to die for! I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about y'alls trip. I honestly had no idea a real Polar Express existed!!!!

Karen said...

Yay! What weekend are you guys going? Happy early birthday in case I forget tomorrow :)

chelsea said...

Yay! We bought our tickets not too long ago as well. Can. Not. Wait!

Sherry said...

That Candy Land birthday is going to totally rock, twinsie! I hope your celebration of "our" birthday tomorrow also rocks. Hehe! I love the Polar Express idea...that will be an awesome way to kick off the Christmas season. We haven't done that before although one of our local malls does a Polar Express theme display every year. We have a tradition of kicking off Christmas with a tree lighting ceremony at another local mall, and there is a little train there that we ride. I do hope Spencer gets to see some snow...every kid needs to experience that (and you must make him some snow cream...google it if you don't know how). I was actually in the Carter's outlet store yesterday looking at their Christmas pajamas. The only reason I didn't buy any was because they were all fleece, and my boys are too hot natured for those. We usually pick up some all cotton footy ones from Children's Place or Gymboree. Have fun celebrating both yours and Spencer's birthdays! :-)

Jeannette said...

I'm so sad we're not going to make it to Spencer's party, but can't wait to see pics (and Elliott's is on our calendar, so I have no excuse)!

I'm also SO jealous that you're doing the Polar Express. I really want to, but I think I have to wait until Ellie stops screaming at Santa to make it worth it. Loooove the PJ, btw!

And most importantly, HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY! :)

Cat said...

That sounds fun! Also, would you like to host a party for me? lol. Nice looking treats!