Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Events that are a week old

Last Tuesday (like a whole week ago Tuesday, not just yesterday) we woke up to rain and temperatures that were a good 20 degrees cooler than usual.  It was a work day for me and I relished driving in the drizzle and walking around my school in the rain.  Well, until I slipped on the wet concrete and biffed it.  I still have a little scab on my knee.  It rained so much that the administration decided to send the kids home at 1:30 because the roads were getting so muddy. Side note: I work at a school on an Indian Reservation and a lot of the roads are dirt.  When it rains a lot the buses can get stuck.
 
All of a suddden I found myself without any kids to see and no meetings to attend.  So I did what any normal person would do.  I left and went to Target and Costco.  Alone.  No children.  It was heavenly.
 
I bought a bunch of food at Costco and then I meandered into the children's clothing section.  They had Adidas tracksuits for $10.  Spencer doesn't really need any new sweatshirt jackets, but he does need pants and I figured I could spend $10 for just pants or $10 for pants and a jacket. 
 
I was a little worried about the size, but the 3T fits him just perfectly. 'Cause, you know, he's 5.
 
Elliott got new clothes too, but he didn't try them on.
 
I love coming home from work to all of my boys.  And Ginger too, although she is not pictured.


 
Spencer was feeling sporty in his new tracksuit so he practiced his jump.  Off the bed.

It was still cooler than usual in the afternoon so we went for a family walk.  Spencer wanted to ride his trike one more time before he starts learning to ride his new bike.  He wore his Piggly Wiggly shirt that Megan brought him from South Carolina last year. 

 
It wasn't dark, so Elliott enjoyed his stroller ride.

 
Ginger relished being released from her house arrest.  Poor dog went from 2 walks a day before Spencer was born to 1 walk a day after he was born to 0 walks a day since Elliott was born.  She's plotting her revenge, I just know it.

 
We went on a long walk, then took Ginger back home, then headed to the playground. 
 
None of the swing pictures came out very good.  They are all blury.  You can still tell how much fun they were having.





 
On a completely unrelated note, but because Megan asked and I thought others might be interested, this is the recipe I use for homemade laundry detergent.  I keep it in a plastic beverage dispenser on top of the washing machine. It looks exactly like this (I got it at Wal Mart)

6 cups water

1/2 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated

1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, not baking soda)

1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax

4 cups hot water

22.5 cups water

 

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 6 cups water and heat on low until dissolved.

Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat.

Add 4 cups hot water to a 2 gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well.

Add 22.5 cups water and mix well.

Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. It is kind of the consistency of egg drop soup.

You may add additional HOT water if the mixture becomes too thick.
 
Shake/Mix well before each use.

Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

Notes:
I use a soup ladle to scoop enough of it into the dispenser until I can easily lift the bucket and pour it. Our bucket has a little pouring lip on it
 
You can find all of those ingredients at Wal Mart and sometimes Target in the laundry detergent aisle.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh my goodness! That Piggly Wiggly shirt is hilarious. I haven't actually been to one in years, but we used to have them in our home town where I grew up in the eastern part of the state. It is like a small town grocery store if you've never been. That just brings back memories!