Saturday, April 14, 2012

Memorial in Tucson

This is my dad's cousin Tony.  He is holding Spencer at Girl's 90th birthday party in November, 2007.  It was the last time he came for a visit.
Until now.  He came from Chicago for Girl's memorial service yesterday.  Elliott was not thrilled for his turn to be held.
I told Tony not to expect another baby the next time he visits because this baby maker is shut down for business. 

I don't actually have any pictures of the memorial service.  It didn't seem appropriate to take any in church and I spent half the luncheon at my parents house nursing and trying to get Elliott to go to sleep.  We think that weaning him from the keppra is messing with his sleep.  His naps are all messed up- he will not stay asleep- and he is waking frequently during the early morning hours, when he normally sleeps so peacefully.  Sleeping with him at 6 am is like sleeping with the cast of the Thriller video.   His arms and legs are all over the place.  

About 70 people came for the luncheon and once I finally made it out to socialize I had to keep reminding myself that Girl wasn't there.  I kept looking for her.  It was a great party.  She would have loved it.

Spencer and I went to Target in Tucson on Thursday night.  We needed more of Spencer's allergy medication and some socks for Elliott.  I had brought some short overalls for him to wear to the memorial but a little storm was moving in and I was afraid his feet would be cold.  We found some $1 socks, but then, of course, I checked out the clothes.  I had convinced myself that even though it was going to be cooler than I had anticipated it was just silly to buy him pants and/or long sleeves because it will soon be 90 and then 100 degrees.  We were walking out of the baby section and I was congratulating myself on my willpower when I saw this outfit.  In the cart it went.

He was so adorable in it.

Since it will be 89 by Tuesday, he'll most likely never wear it again.

I took lots of pictures to share to make the $9.99 price seem worth it.

These are the first pictures of Elliott where I feel like he looks like a real baby and not a newborn.

People sent lovely flowers to place at the altar during the mass.

I was looking at this particular bouquet and thinking that it was really nice and whoever ordered it was really generous. I looked at the card and it was from my family.  Damn.  We are really great people.


Spencer kind of got lost in there.

Ginger was a big hit in her cone during the luncheon.  Later that night we realized she is glow in the dark.

Good news about Ginger.  The tumor was cancerous, but it had not spread, they were able to remove all of it and no further treatment is needed.  They also overcharged us $180, so they will be refunding that on Monday.  The vet called with the results of the pathology while we were in Tucson and we listened to her message like 8 times but can not understand exactly what kind of tumor it is (not like we don't "get it".  Her voice is all muffled and we literally do not understand her).  Based on her description, though, it was caused by Ginger's love of sunbathing, she is likely to get more of these tumors and we need to start putting sunscreen on her or making her wear a shirt everyday.  I think we should get a sassy little designer piece.

We came home this afternoon because Spencer and Michael were going to Jacob's 2nd birthday party.  Elliott and I stayed home and took a teeny, tiny nap (like 20 minutes and then he was ready to go, even though I most definitely was not), took a shower together (his first shower) and took pictures in this outfit because it is the first and only time he'll wear it.  It was a shower gift from Grandma and it was too big until now and will now be too hot.

I'm just in love with this kid, despite the decline in sleeping ability of late.

I'm also in love with this batman face-painted kid,

despite his insistence that sticking one's tongue out makes for a good picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elliot is just adorable. I'm sorry about Girl and I can so relate with buying an outfit and then only getting to wear it once, but unable to pass it up. For me it was shoes for Nicole, the girl had way too many. I think that's why she is so "Imelda-Like" now. There's not a pair of shoes out there that she doesn't need!

So happy things are going well for Elliott (minus that sleep thing), but it WILL pass. I promise!

Mary, Phx