Monday, March 19, 2012

More Projects

The pinning continues. I've been making dinner almost every night from recipes I find on pinterest.  I've been trying really hard to make a schedule for dinners for the week and then I base grocery shopping off of the schedule.  Spencer and I go grocery shopping on Sunday afternoon while Elliott naps.  We both look forward to it as sometimes it is the only time I leave the house all week.  Having a schedule makes dinner way less chaotic and we're eating in the 6:00 hour instead of the 8:00 hour.  I'm not going to show you our dinners though, because I don't take pictures of them.  That was a lot of build up for nothing, huh?

Here are some of the pinterest projects we've done in the last month.

We made our own laundry detergent.  The root beer was not part of the recipe.  It was for root beer pulled pork.
We did one load of laundry with it.  It works great.  We wanted to use up the rest of the detergent we already had before using it though.  That's going to happen this week.
We made our own fabric softener.  We haven't used it yet, but it smells really good.
We made yarn chandeliers.  I told Spencer they were hot air balloons.
It was an annoying, time consuming undertaking that we stretched out into a 2 week project, but the end result was worth it.  They look great in the boys' rooms.



This one I actually did not find on pinterest.  I found it through google.

Spencer had started wearing this toy storage bin on his back and calling it a jet pack.
He was blasting off to Mars on a daily basis.  I asked if he would like it if I made him his own real jet pack.  Of course he said yes.
So while he was in Tucson last week I got all the necessary items and made it for him.  I was so excited for him to come home and see it.

It was all ready for him when he got here, except for the straps which we wanted to do with him so we could make them fit. 
This was his initial reaction when he saw it: no smiling, looking disappointed, no sounds of glee. This is what he said: "But mom, I want it to have real fire coming out.  That is not real fire". 
I really thought I had been inventive with the fire too.  Nothing like the disappointed complaints of a 4 year old to make you feel like a real jerk of a mom.  I just can't think of a single way to make real fire safe for play.  Sorry Spencer.  The string confetti will have to do until you become Iron Man after college. 
I already had a friend ask for step by step directions on how to make this and luckily I did take a couple pictures during the process so I'm going to do a whole blog post about how I made this.

Finally, this was not a pinterest project, but I didn't know where else to put it.  I didn't want to write an entire blog post about it.

Ginger turned 10 on March 10th.  It was her Golden Birthday! 

We had pie in her honor.
Spencer was kind enough to blow out her candles.
The birthday girl.

Just one more thing, because he wasn't in this post anywhere. Here's Elliott this morning wearing fleece jammies on an unexpectedly cold Arizona day in March.



4 comments:

Megan said...

Fun fun fun...I need to get more recipies. Ugg then I would have to make dinner.

3in3mom said...

you are such a fun Momma! I love the egg chandeliers. . .

Megan said...

Wait, is it not normal for you to make a list of dinners & base your grocery shopping on the list?? Because if not, I'm shocked!

Cat said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday Ginger!