Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back to the grind

I went back to work today.  I didn't cry and I actually wasn't very upset at all.  It's not that I am not sad about leaving Elliott, I just recognize that I am leaving him for a very short amount of time and he will be just fine without me. The first day I went back to work when Spencer was a baby I cried the whole way there and several times during the day.  I was leaving him with Michael, so, in hindsight this was a little bit of overkill.  I went back when Spencer was 16 weeks old and I worked about 6.5 hours on both Tuesday and Thursday.  Michael was home with him both days.  I was also really concerned that pumping and bottle feeding was going to derail nursing with Spencer.  Elliott is already on formula and I have a whole freezer full of breast milk already, so I don't have the same concerns with Elliott.

  I am working 4 hours on Tuesday with Michael at home and 4 hours on Thursday with Megan here.  It's an ideal situation.

The work day went well.  Everyone was really glad to see me, I got a whole bunch of "stuff" done and I got some great news from my principal.  I will tell you what it is if you contact me privately.  I just don't want to share it in such a public forum. 

This was the scene when I got home:







Did you really think I wouldn't do this?

A side by side comparison of my babies when I got home from my first day back to work.

Spencer was just barely starting to come out of his colic phase when I went back.  Michael was way less nervous to be with Elliott today.  The only worry that we had was Elliott refusing the bottle.  He actually did OK with breast milk in it.  He just won't take formula from a bottle.  Can't say I blame him.

3 comments:

Megan said...

A little over 24 hours and I get my "first" day with him...can't wait!

Chelsea said...

Aww, glad you're feeling good about going back to work. Yay for getting out of the house!

Allison said...

Thanks for the advice on the name. I'm with you. I think it's only fair to stick with the H's....even if people will never get their names straight. Ha!