Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dec. 26- Jan. 2

I swear I am not going to blog about every single day of Elliott's life.  As of right now I am caught up and we can continue on with more cuteness and fun stories and less every day boringness.

I wrote that at about 5:00 pm on Monday, January 2nd.  Four hours later we were rushing Elliott to the Emergency Room and five hours after that he quit breathing.  Now I feel like I do need to blog about every day of his life because, although his life was precious to begin with, it is even more precious after his very existence was threatened.

Monday, December 26th

Michael's parents came up from Tucson and we had Christmas #2.


Elliott tried out his new swaddlepod blanket.  It didn't work very well.  We might try it again now that he's gained a pound.
Love a baby in a milk coma. 
On a side note- this is my favorite nursing pillow.  It took a lot of trial and error to find it with Spencer.  I hate nursing with boppy pillows.  What a joke.  This pillow is the right size and correct firmness.  It took me 2 whole weeks after we brought Elliott home to put a pillow case on it.
Tuesday, December 27th

Bath time
All clean
Wednesday, December 28th

Chelsea and Laura drove up from Tucson to see me.  Karen also came over (she lives here in the Valley).  Laura and I were supposed to have our kids 1 month apart.  Elliott, with his other plans, will now be 2 months older than Samantha.
Elliott wore old man pants.
Thursday, December 29th

Our 10th wedding anniversary.  Not exactly how we planned on spending the day.

Elliott tried out the swing again.
We took a nice nap together.

Michael and I mustered all of our energy and got ready for a "fancy" dinner out. 
Elliott came with us.  We ate really, really fast.
My brothers took Spencer to Jump Street, a jumping castle/trampoline wonder land, while we were at dinner.  I'm not sure who had more fun- Spencer or the uncles.

Uncle Nathan held Elliott.  His response was: "this makes me very uncomfortable".
Uncle Nick showed him how it was done.
Friday, December 30th

Elliott took a snooze in his chair.
And, while we worked on removing Christmas decorations, also napped in the travel crib that Spencer never, ever used.  I had actually never even taken it out of the package seeing as Spencer didn't sleep anywhere but on me until he was 2 years old.
Saturday, December 31st

Spencer requested a picture with his brother.
Elliott on the last day of his birth year.

We have a family tradition (started the year that Spencer was born) of eating BBQ on New Year's Eve.  This year we ordered in.  I also drank half of a beer.  It was a huge deal.
Sunday, January 1st

We wanted to go for a walk as a family.  We got Elliott all situated in the car seat and then went to strap it on the Sit N Stand.  That's when we realized that despite my diligent research and reading about 100 reviews we realized that the Chicco Key Fit does not actually work with the Sit N Stand.
We did take the walk.  Elliott just went in the moby wrap instead.
Monday, January 2nd

This was taken just after noon. I was beginning to suspect that something was wrong.  Elliott was extra sleepy and extra fussy.  For about 2 hours I convinced myself that it was the beer I had on New Year's Eve and that I had caused liver damage to his little body.  After having been through everything we have and knowing about the sepsis, I can now see that this was the very beginning of his being very, very sick.

It just breaks my heart.

It was the night of the 2nd that we took him to the ER and that whole saga began to unfold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love all the photos! You have a very precious family and obviously you & Michael make a great team! Congrats on finding your soulmate!

Elliott is just too cute, like Spencer and I am so happy he is better and you all are adjusting to just being a family with a newborn baby.

Only the best from here on!

Mary, Phx