Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The big reveal

When I was pregnant with Spencer we thought long and hard of a cute way to tell everyone.  Michael's grandparents had been living in Arizona all winter so we convinced Michael's parents to have a going away party for them as a way to get both sides of the family together.  I volunteered to make a cake and then put the due date in white chocolate chips.  I did a blog post about this once but I cannot find it anywhere in the archives.
This time around we convinced my parents to have a Father's Day party so we could use the occassion for the big reveal.  We actually had it on Saturday since my uncle had to leave town early on Sunday.

We had these pictures of Spencer taken a couple of weeks ago.  We told him that the shirt said great kid.  The plan was to give these prints as Father's Day presents.
The first thing we had to do, though, was tell Spencer the truth.  We took him into my bedroom and told him there was a baby growing in my belly just like he grew in there and he was going to be a big brother.  Then we told him what the shirt really said and asked if he would wear it so we could go tell everyone else.


We had everyone gathered in the living room so they all saw Spencer as he walked in.

Everyone got it right away.  Then everyone said that they had suspicions because I wasn't drinking.  Apparently I'm a big boozer and it's weird when I abstain.



And that was that.  Then I went downstairs to the computer where I posted the "you can figure it out" post that I actually wrote several months ago.

3 comments:

Maryellen said...

You guys do great reveals! When I've abstained people have gotten pretty suspicious as well. If it makes you feel better I don't think of you as a boozer. I think of you as a social person who will have at least one cocktail to join in on the spirit of the occasion. I don't think you would be one to get lit up on box wine and call some poor old man Roger all night even though his name is George.

Megan said...

You are the BEST! I love being best friends with you and while I KNOW you are having a girl sometimes I think maybe it's just that I want you to have a girl so our girls can be bff's. But a boy would be good too. Hadley will love being sandwiched between your boys! When do we find out? I'm DYING here!

Chelsea said...

For some reason, the fact that you told him that the shirt said "good kid" really is cracking me up!
Great reveal!