Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Big doings

We live in a 4 bedroom house.  Michael and I are in the master bedroom.  Ginger sleeps with us 70% of the time.  For the first year Spencer slept with us 100% of the time.  Now he's in there about 5% of the time.  Spencer has the 2nd bedroom.  The 3rd bedroom is our guest bedroom.  The 4th bedroom has served a variety of purposes.

Now, stick with me because this is going somewhere.  I promise.

When we first moved in, in August 2009, the 4th bedroom was our playroom.
It was also a TV watching room after Spencer went to bed.

The playroom lasted for 7 months, until March 2010, when we moved all the play stuff out to the family room because it didn't work to have the toys separated from where we spend our time.

Then the 4th bedroom was just kind of a catch all room where we kept extra stuff.
That lasted for 5 months when we moved everything out and I used it as a work space for sanding the hutch.
1 month later, in September 2010, when I was done with the hutch, we moved a full bed in the 4th bedroom and turned it into a 2nd guest room.  I don't really have a picture of that.  You can kind of see the edge of the bed in this shot.
That lasted until April, 2011 when we got all this furniture from my aunt and uncle.  Spencer took the full bed and we moved two twins, a desk and a dresser in to the 4th bedroom.
It was pretty cramped.
Which brings us to now.  You may or may not have heard that we have a baby on the way.  Spencer didn't sleep in his own room until he was three, but he still had a room and I intend for this baby to have one too.

So, last weekend I cleaned out the entire closet.  Emptied it.  Completely.  This is where we have been dumping stuff for almost 2 years.  It contained everything that we didn't know where else to put.
I put everything from the closet on to the twin beds.  Our nephews will be sleeping in these beds next week so I did this intentionally so I would HAVE to clean the beds off.
It actually wasn't bad.  This was all that was left after 1 day.  I filled a huge box of stuff to give away.  I'm donating a bunch of old suits from my days of working at the senate to Dress for Success.  The rest was random paperwork type stuff and photo albums.
I finished within 2 days.  Then we moved the beds and the dresser.
And stuck the huge desk in the closet.
The plan from here is that we will take down one of the beds and put the crib in that spot.  We're also debating taking off the closet doors and hanging a cute curtain in its place.  We'll use either the top of the dresser or the top of the desk as a changing table (with a changing pad).  

And for those of you wondering- here is the plan for the baby regarding sleep methods and sleeping arrangements:  We have no plan.

I had a complete sleep plan when Spencer was born and none of it ever worked.  For years.  He just wasn't a baby that would take to anything we tried. And it was bitterly disappointing.  So if I don't have a plan this time then I can't be disappointed and I can't feel like a failure.

  We're just going to go with the flow as we discover what type of baby we get.

I tell you, it is the most liberating thing I have ever done.

But I do have rather specific plans for everything else.
Any suggestions for nursery themes?

8 comments:

Maryellen said...

I think the no plan is a great plan. I'm starting to take that philosophy in life and it is very liberating!

Chelsea said...

No plan is the BEST plan! I'm a planner, for the most part too, but in this case... the baby has the plan. He or she will let you know when he or she is darned well ready!
Nursery theme... are you planning to find out if it's a boy or girl? That could impact it. My sister was going to do Pink UofA theme for Harper, which I thought was A-Dorable! She did, however, have a tough time finding enough pink UofA gear.

Megan said...

PINK! Cuz it's a girl...

k and j said...

you are amazing! i haven't even started a thing for this baby, eeek!

and i have about 3 more weeks!

no nursery for this baby since i don't know what the sex is. so that can wait.

hope we both have girls, that would make me DONE with the baby factory ;)

Kendra Forgacs said...

Sounds a lot like our house...only we have 1 less room. And it took us much, much longer to clear out our "throw all room." We still have much work to do in the nursery and baby will be here in about 2 weeks! Good luck!

Krista said...

I love the idea of taking down those closet doors and putting up a cute curtain. You can leave the desk/changing table in the closet and use it so much easier. Serena & Lily (pricey) has some great baby (but not too babyish) color themes. You could get some inspiration from there. I love the chocolate/celery green/periwinkle combo. It's so cute & gender neutral. It could be a nature friendly room!

Sarah Robbins said...

Wait till you find out what you are having before you do a theme. Gender neutral nurseries are no fun. :)

Cat said...

I am impressed with how quickly you cleaned out that closet!