Monday, May 30, 2011

The birthday weekend

Michael and I started dating when I was 17 and he was 19.  We got married when I was 22 and he was 24.  It took until my 23rd birthday before we realized that our birthdays are always on the same day of the week.  That particular year we were saying that it was so cool that his birthday had been on a Friday and mine was also on a Friday.  Then the wheels turned and things clicked and we realized that it is always the same.  Stupid.

This year, 2011, both of our birthdays are on Mondays.  Making it extra special, both of our birthdays are on holiday Mondays- Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Michael's parents came up from Tucson on Sunday.  I had asked them to stop in Casa Grande to pick up some Eegees for lunch.  It was all a big surprise.

I set the dining room table, including candles in crystal candlestick holders.

The birthday boy, who had to hide in our bedroom until everything was ready.
After lunch we had cake and ice cream.

And then presents.  Spencer had gone to Target with me and picked out 50% of the presents on his own, with no guidance from me.


Michael got: cool ranch doritos, nacho cheese doritos, chocolate swirl marshmallows, a chocolate/pretzel/peanut butter candy bar, an anchor bathing suit and socks.  Can you guess what Spencer picked?
Then Michael's parents set up the pool that they brought from their house.

I don't think Spencer even noticed when we left.
First stop: the movies.
2nd stop: dinner. 
We went to McAlpines, an old fashioned soda shoppe in downtown Phoenix.
3rd stop: The Arizona Grand Resort.
We had won a gift certicate for a one night stay more than a year ago.  It was definitely time to use it.
Our room:


We got into bed right after we checked in and watched TV and read for a couple of hours.  Then we made a quick trip for 2 of these bad boys:
Then it was back into bed.  We didn't leave until 9 am.  It was awesome.
This morning, Michael's actual birthday, Michael's parents drove Spencer over to meet us.  As we were walking from the car to our room Spencer (holding my hand) looks up at me and says, "So, mommy, how was your night?"

The Arizona Grand has an entire water park inside its grounds so we spent the morning swimming.
They have a wave pool, a regular pool, a kiddie pool, a splash pad, a hot tub and a lazy river.  Spencer was not a fan of the hot tub.  Too hot.



Spencer was FROZEN after a couple of hours.  We went back to the room, put him in a hot shower, then wrapped him up and stuck him under the covers with some cartoons.
We checked out, had lunch at The Olive Garden and then went home where naps were taken by all.

I hope Michael had fun during his birthday weekend.  I certainly did.

8 comments:

Michael said...

I certainly did. It was all wonderful. Thanks my love.

The GVZs said...

Oh man, I love Eegees. I never appreciated it enough when I was in Tucson because for whatever reason I was too focused on eating at Beyond Bread whenever possible. Looks like a fabulous weekend!

Kendra Forgacs said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend! From the eegees to the doritos, to the AZ Grand!! How was the Hangover?

Karen said...

So glad you guys finally got to do this! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Maryellen said...

That was a fabulous birthday celebration! You guys are such cool people.

John's and my birthday are always on the same day of the week too. I think our birthdays are on Monday this year.

k and j said...

what a good wifey you are!!!

what a dang fun birthday celebration!

Chelsea said...

Yay! What a great time!

Cat said...

Sounds like fun!