Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Milestones and a rescue

Yesterday was an important day in our family.  Spencer "accomplished" two important milestones and I regressed in something.  We'll get to that in a minute.  We'll talk about Spencer first.

Milestone #1.

Spencer asked me if he could have a fruit roll-up.  I told him no, that is was too close to dinner.  He left the room, found his father and asked him the same question. Three minutes later Spencer came back to me eating a fruit roll-up.
It's the first time he has ever manipulated us in such a, well, manipulative way.   

 His punishment was that I took the fruit-roll up.  And then we had a serious chat about how he cannot just bounce from parent to parent until he finds the answer he wants.  I did not tell him that I used to do the exact same thing to my own parents all the time, particularly during the high school years.
Milestone #2

Spencer came home from school with this little fish in his pocket.  It does not belong to him.  It's the first time he has stolen something.  We had a long talk about how you don't take things that don't belong to you.  His defense was that he liked it.  Oh, well, in that case....
At least he's already rocking the prison tats.
We're taking the fish back to school tomorrow.  Before I dole out any serious punishment I need to figure out if it belongs to the school or to a kid and if a kid gave it to him.

Moving on to me.
I have a long history of sleepwalking and night terrors.  Both started in college.  I got SO much better when I was pregnant and both nightime disturbances completely stopped when Spencer was born.

I've had a couple incidences of could be sleepwalking/might just be me getting up when I'm not fully awake in the past couple of months.  Last night, though, I was full on sleepwalking.  Twice.  The second time I woke up in the closet and was having a panic attack before I figured out where I was.  I think I need to go to a sleep clinic.

(I don't wear jammies like that and I don't sleepwalk with my arms out.)  (FYI)

The rescue.

We were getting ready to take Ginger for a walk last night.  The front door was open and the front door screen door was closed.  As I bent over to pick up the leash (in a basket right by the door) I looked straight into these:
I screamed (it was hard to tell what the eyes belonged to through the screen) and then saw this guy trotting away.  OK, it was not this exact dog, but a dog very much like this one.

We ran after him, checked his coller, called his owner, leashed him and returned Jackson Basset Hound to his family within 10 minutes.  As we were walking down the street Ginger kept looking at Jack and then at us as if to say, "really?  Is this my new brother?"

They did look cute together.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

You crack me up!

Kendra Forgacs said...

Question: when you took the fruit roll-up from Spencer, did you eat it in front of him? Does it make me a terrible mom that I think I would have done that?

Also, do you know for a fact that you don't sleep walk with your arms out in front? You should have Michael tape you! Seriously, though - you should go to a sleep study, that's kind of scary!

And, lastly, I love the way to write. Comical.

The GVZs said...

I think it is very interesting that he ate the roll up in front of you even though he knew (or should have known) he would get busted for it. There's a psychological angle there for sure.

k and j said...

it's funny when they hit those "interesting" milestones hahaha.

i think the solution to your sleep problem is to get pregnant wooohooo! :)