Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Alphabet Soup

My aunt and uncle gave Spencer a DVD of William Wegman's Alphabet Soup for Christmas 2 years ago.  He watched it a couple of times, but never showed any real interest in it.  I'm shocked to say this, but Spencer is starting to branch out from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  He's loving Handy Manny and Special Agent Oso.  He has also become completely obsessed with the Alphabet Soup DVD.  It's all he wants to watch in the car.  Over and over and over.

You have to watch this youtube clip before reading the rest.


Spencer has been begging me to make alphabet soup for a week now. The weimaraners make alphabet soup with funky ingredients like a hot dog for "h", sugar for "s" and vinegar for "v", but we assembled a more typical cast of characters: cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions and pasta.
It was special pasta, shaped like mini letters. 
I cooked the veggies and chicken broth separately from the pasta,
so the noodles don't get soggy when we reheat it.
Ginger waited patiently during the whole cooking process.
Alphabet soup success.
Add whole wheat bread and it's dinner!
Spencer spent an hour talking about how much he likes alphabet soup.  Then he ate 3 bites and declared dinner done.  He is currently having a bowl of yogurt before bed because he's soooooo huuuuuuuuungry.

7 comments:

Maryellen said...

Your alphabet soup looks deeeelllicious! Your post makes me wanna make some.

Anonymous said...

Yum! On another note, Oso is a dumbass! He doesn't know anything! BTW, I need your help. I am in charge of making a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse themed cake for my friend's daughter's 2nd b-day. Any suggestions on how to put that plan in action? I have no idea what it looks like!
-Megan

Elisa said...

That was hilarious! I couldn't watch the video too much, those dogs with human hands kind of creep me out!

k and j said...

haha you are one cool momma! looks so yummy to me :) might need to make that asap ;)

jess said...

ginger is sooo cute. she looks like she is willing you to drop food on the ground :)

my little nephew has that shirt spencer (who is also sooo cute) is wearing in the last shot. i got it for him for christmas because i have a boston terrier.

i can't eat soup, but i bet it was very tasty!

Krista said...

Very very cute idea. Did Ginger get some soup? She looks like she would be happy to help Spencer finish his!

Jennifer said...

Your soup looks delicious but that creepy dog video was freakin' me out!