Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Nine Years

We celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary on the 29th.  Next up is the big 1-0.  It feels like we should go on a cruise or something.  That's customary, right?

This day was the only day over winter break that Spencer napped.  One day out of seventeen.  Yikes.  Ginger also napped that day.  Truth be told, so did I.
After nap time I got ready.  I should mention that when Spencer saw me dressed up for Christmas Eve he rubbed my arm excitedly and told me I looked like a princess.  I was very touched and felt like a million bucks.  He came into the bathroom while I was doing my hair for the big anniversary night and told me I looked beautiful.  The boy just doesn't know what he's complimenting.
So, here we are.  This is the picture that went into the anniversary memory book.  I like the idea that our early anniversary pictures don't have kids and then in the middle we'll have kids, then in our later years we'll be back to no kids and then in our more later years maybe there will be a grandkid or two thrown in.

We went to Hacienda del Sol for dinner.  It was cold, dark and raining hard when we arrived.  It's the first time we've had rain on our anniversary.  I stole this picture from their website.
This was our dessert.  That little scoop of ice cream was the best ice cream I have ever had.  And I know ice cream.  Really, the whole dinner was just to die for.
After dinner we changed out of our fancy schmancy clothes and went to the 10:45 pm showing of True Grit.  This is what we found when we entered the theatre.
For 10 minutes we were the only people there.
It gave us the opportunity to take hokey pictures.

This is more for my benefit than yours.  I just need somewhere to record this information where I won't lose it like I almost lost the Christmas 2009 Gift List.  Feel free to skip it if you don't want to be 1) Majorly jealous and 2) Incredibly hungry after reading.

First of all, we got cocktails.  I had a blackberry-cinnamon caipirinha.  Michael had a Tom Collins.  Then we ordered the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings.  I was drunk by the 2nd course. 

This is what we ate:

1st Course
Natalie- Baby Beet Salad with Mizuna, House Made Mozzarella, Prosciutto, Walnuts and Aged Balsamic Vinegar
Michael- Cauliflower Bisque with Garnish of Manchego Foam, Basil Oil and Bacon Dust

2nd Course
Both- Mexican Grouper with Butter Beans, Chorizo, Calamari, Brussel Sprouts and Parmesan Broth

3rd Course
Natalie- Smoked Pork Belly: Braised Pork Belly with Adobo Verde, Green Chile White Polenta and Corn Tuile
Michael- Seared Foie Gras with Brioche, Crisp Sweet Potatoes, Jalapeno-Blueberry Jam and Roasted Pear Coulis.

4th Course
Both- Filet Mignon with Cognac Demi Glace, Red Bliss Potatoes with Tomme de Savoie Mornay, Organic Spinach and Wild Mushrooms

5th Course
Both- Hacienda Signature Chocolate Cake with Caramel Mousse, Devil's Food Cake and Vanilla Ice Cream

We like to go to different restaurants for our anniversary each year.  This one will be hard to top though.  We might need a repeat.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Love the food play by play...but don't quiz me cuz I really didn't read it!

Karen said...

Thank you, it's 11pm and I am soooo hungry now!

chelsea said...

Fiddlesticks, I read the darn menu and now I'm hungry. Looks like my healthy eating day will not be today either. Off to look for Signature Chocolate Cake with Caramel Mousse in our staff lounge. May have to settle for a chocolate kiss...

k and j said...

holy crap! what a great anniversary! i love seeing spencer sleeping in your room :) you do what you gotta do right?? lol. nolan sleeps IN our bed and probably will for the rest of his life. ha. we mostly really enjoy it though ;)