Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Panic Attack

I went public with my OCD/Type- A list making tendencies (obesession) several weeks ago.  I experienced a huge list making fail this afternoon.  I keep word documents (shocking!) with all of the gifts we receive.  I have one for my bridal shower gifts, one for wedding gifts and one for baby shower gifts.  Then I have separate ones for Spencer's birthdays and Christmas gifts.  I like to think that one day my grandchild will ask where something came from and I will be able to tell them who, what, when, where and why- immediately and accurately.

Spencer has already received several Christmas presents this year.  I decided it was time to start the 2010 Christmas Gift List so I could get started on thank you notes.  I pulled up the folder on the ol' desktop.  I saw 2007 and 2008.  I saw all his birthdays.  I did not, however, see Christmas 2009.  No problem.  I checked the other files.  Nothing.  OK.  I went to get the binder where I keep printed copies of the lists in case of computer armageddon.  I thought worst case scenario I would just re-type the list from the printed copy.  NO LIST.  What the hell. 
Now at this point I'm feeling a little short of breath and light headed.  There's no digital list and no printed list.  I start thinking that maybe I can email people and call people to ask what they gave Spencer last year.  Can you imagine that call? Then I could look at pictures and somehow come up with a new list.  I'm thinking that there is no way that I neglected to type the list, so I must have somehow deleted the list.  But that seems impossible too.  So, on a whim, I pull out this "organizer" that we have by the computer.  You know the thing that you just dump stuff into until you can deal with it.  It looks like this.
And wouldn't ya know it.  There's the 2009 list.  Untyped.
So, here I am on December 21, 2010 typing the 2009 Christmas list.  What a loser.

What could have happened in January that I never got around to doing this? 

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Some people may think you're crazy. However, I admire this trait in you.
In fact, I don't know that I have ever loved you more than I do right now, for your lists alone.
One day, when I grow up, I aspire to be you. Seriously!

Karen said...

You crack me up! I used to think of myself as a lover of lists as well. However, I think that may not be accurate compared to you :)

Megan said...

I am so glad you found the list...what a whole that would be in your records. :-)

Maryellen said...

Whoa Natalie. I think there's therapy for this. Just kidding. Your organization really is something I aspire to. I think it's a speech therapist thing. Joni is pretty darn organized too.

Elisa said...

So glad you found this!