Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ladies' Night

Back in September Chelsea, Laura, Karen and I started talking about doing a Girl's Night Out (GNO).  We were tired of getting together with our husbands and children.  Not that we don't love our husbands and children, but the under 3 crowd and the testosterone driven crowd do tend to distract from food female fun.   The first possible weekend was the first weekend in October, but then Karen and Chelsea were unavailable, so Laura and I had a lady date with each other.  The next possible weekend was this past weekend. 

No less than 245 emails later, the plan was: Karen and I would drive (separately) to Tucson from the Phoenix area.  Michael would be our designated driver driving Laura's MINI VAN.  We would go for cocktails, dinner, then more cocktails.  We would all spend the night at my parents house.  Important things to note- my parents have NO CHILDREN living at their house (Spencer was at Michael's parents house where Michael went after his driving duties).

We first met for coffee and some shopping in the afternoon.  Then we got ready together and then.......it was time.  Ladies' Night!
We were standing around the kitchen waiting for something or other and I glance over at Karen.  She's unwrapping something.  I do a double take and then ask, "are you eating a granola bar? Seriously?"  Yes, she was indeed. Something about needing a little something to eat before drinking a cosmo.  I was also impressed that the granola bar wrapper matched her dress.  I think she secretly planned it.
Our 1st stop was the Arizona Inn for elegant cocktails and live piano music. We didn't want to be like papparazzi and have our cameras out the entire night but we did want to get a couple live action shots.

Next up was dinner at Feast.  At one point we had 2 bottles of wine/2 glasses each going at the table.  Feast is where, 1) Laura told an inappropriate story and people who may or may not have been on their 1st date looked at us in horror; 2) A table with a group of swingers were amused by us and told us that we were their favorite people ever. When those people left the guy randomly had a dollar bill sticking out of his belt.  Laura said, "why did he have a dollar in his belt?  Did I put that there?" (honestly it was the funniest words ever spoken); 3) A Tucson Police Department Officer pulled into the parking lot and we were afraid we were going to be arrested for disturbing the peace; 4) We were the last people to leave and the employees were sweeping the floors as we walked out.
   
After Feast we went to North for some female bonding.  No photos.  Then back to my parents' basement for some good ol' fashioned slumber party hijinks.  Except we were too tired for hijinks and we all just went to sleep.  In beds.  With no husbands.  Or children.  And we slept until darn near close to 9 am.

Girls- it was so much fun.  Too bad we didn't get a transcript of the night from the stenographer that was not following us around.  I do remember Chelsea's best line, though, and I will be having it needlepointed onto a pillow WHEN certain things happen.

5 comments:

chelsea said...

Oh my goodness is that an upclose sleeping shot of me?!? Or a fake sleeping pic... or I'm the happiest sleeper ever! haha!
It was a FABULOUS night! LOVE you!!!

Elisa said...

Hawt! You look great, love your blazer look.

Karen said...

Excellent recap, since I couldn't have done it better myself I'm thinking of just not doing it.

Maryellen said...

You ladies sure know how to do a Ladies' night!

Laura said...

I'm sitting here, a good 2-3 weeks post GNO, reading this for the first time, realizing that I have NO memory of the basement and dying. I'm laughing hysterically. Good times.