Monday, October 18, 2010

San Diego

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.

Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?

Ron Burgundy: No. No.

Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.

Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

Anchorman. It never gets old. Michael and I watched it the night before we left for San Diego just to get us into the mood for the city. Honestly, I watched it just for that scene. Love it.

So, we headed out to San Diego on Saturday morning. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts (of course) and got some fall sprinkle donuts for the ride. Spencer enjoyed his.

We stopped by our old house on the way to I-8. Michael hadn't seen it for 14 months. Spencer and I hadn't seen it for 12 months. It looks exactly the same. The trees are a little taller, but that's it. It was a little bittersweet, but I still don't regret moving last year.My parents had been in Palm Springs for a few days so they got to San Diego before us. We met up at the hotel and then went down to the docks to walk around. My dad saw this NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) ship and literally gasped. He was positively giddy about it. I guess it's a rare sight. He made me take a picture of it with my phone and send it to my brother. Nick's response: why are you sending me a picture of this stupid ship?Then we had dinner and went back to the hotel for some much needed sleep.

We got up on Sunday morning and headed to the Cabrillo light house. We stopped below the light house first to check out the ocean and tide pools. I lost at least 17 months of my life with the anxiety of Spencer falling off the cliffs.It didn't help when a rogue wave hit me, my dad and Spencer and soaked us. Spencer got the worst of it.He seemed to enjoy it though. No deep seated ocean trust issues that we can see so far. He was a little more cautious though and stayed further away from the edge after the wave incident. I got 1 month back onto my life.

Then we all learned an important life lesson: don't trust my dad to take a family picture because he will not tell you when 1/3 of the family is not looking.
After the light house we headed over to Balboa park and met my friend Mavi and her son Jaylen at the train museum. We haven't seen them for more than a year since they moved back to San Diego.
And here's the picture that I took of me and Mavi. Oh, that's right. Didn't get that shot.
After the train museum we rode on the carousel. I think I have this exact picture of me and Spencer on like 4 or 5 carousels. I should do a collage of all of them sometime. Stay tuned for that.
That's day 1 and 2. Days 3 and 4 are more exciting. They involve more ocean and more oceanic creatures. There were no more NOAA ships. That's bad news for my dad but delightful news for the entire rest of the human population.

4 comments:

chelsea said...

That is hilarious about your dad! Looks like a great trip so far. Except for those cliffs. I won't be taking my kids to San Diego anytime soon for that reason alone. TOO scary!

Krista said...

Whew! I love a cliffhanger....no pun intended! I love SD. I almost went there for grad school, but somehow ended up in Greeley???? Makes no sense at all!

Laura said...

I love visiting a whale's vagina. I tell you - that movie KILLS me and reading that little snipit of dialogue had me crying. I still have my makeup on and now my eyes burn. Love it.

Cat said...

I love San Diego!