Monday, September 13, 2010

The ball pit

I'm waiting for some people to share their pictures before I do a post about Spencer's party. Until then, here's a gem of a story about the pre-party planning.

The background:
I wanted to have "activity stations" set up all over the house and outside with things for kids to do. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money, so we just made cute signs for things we already have. The slide became "Goofy's Silly Slide" and the water table became "Donald's Duck Pond". The one thing we don't have, though, is some sort of ball pit. I thought about buying a little pool and filling it with balls, but then I found a great inflatable ball pit with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme. Perfect. We'd give it to Spencer as a gift and also use it at the party. I ordered it on K-Mart's website and selected in-store pick-up. Michael stopped after work, picked up the ball pit and brought it home. He left it on the guest bed and then told me where he put it.

The gem of a story:
Natalie: Oooh. I want to go see the ball pit (walking-walking-walking-looking-looking-looking)
Natalie: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
Michael: What are you talking about?
Natalie: What the hell? Did you not even look at this when you bought it?
Michael: (scurrying down the hallway) Huh?
Natalie: Seriously. You went to customer service, they put this on the counter and scanned it, you paid for it, you walked out with it, you put it on the seat and drove home with it, you carried it in the house and put it on the bed and YOU DIDN'T SEE THIS?
Michael: See what?
Natalie: THIS!

Natalie: Really? Really? You didn't see Cinderella? You didn't see the pink box? You didn't see the words "Princess" and "Playland"? What about this says Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to you?So, I berated Michael for a bit longer, we had a good laugh about it (not really) and then he made some calls to procure a new, non-girlie, non-princess ball pit.

And lest you think that maybe he only saw the back of the box and should be excused:

Whew. That was a close call. The Clubhouse ball pit was much more in keeping with the theme of the party and the gender of our son.Baby Jacob had a great time in there. It wouldn't have been the same had it been Snow White.
Note: No feelings were harmed in the writing of this blog post- I got permission from Michael to abuse and harass him.

6 comments:

chelsea said...

I am DYING right now!!! That is SUCH a man thing!!! Poor Michael... I hope he never lives this down!

Michael said...

I don't recall such permission ever being granted. You are so hilarious. Not!

Laura said...

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? My favorite comment of the week.

Maryellen said...

Hahahahahah. Love it.

k and j said...

Men are riiiiiidiculous I tell you! Every.Last.One.Of.Them!

Cat said...

Love it. Michael, we all make mistakes. :)