Friday, April 16, 2010

Two Posts in One

Post #1- Saying Thanks

I have been wanting to bake something for the staff of the veterinary office where Ginger spent the night when she ran away. I've had many chances to do the baking, just not much time to deliver the treats. On Wednesday night, Spencer helped me whip up a batch of........

Chocolate whoopie piesThey were delicious. The staff really appreciated them. We still really appreciate them taking care of Ginger.

Post #2- My actual conversation with Spencer on Thursday afternoon

Mommy: Spencer, did you dump all your toys on the floor?
Spencer: Yes, me did.
Mommy: Why did you do that?
Spencer: Me busy.
Mommy: Well, you need to help me pick all of this up.
Spencer: No clean up time. Play time.
Mommy: Honey, there's not even room to sit down on the floor. We need to pick some stuff up so we have room to sit down. Will you help me?
Spencer: Ginger help.
Mommy: No, Ginger can't help.
Spencer: Mommy, me busy.
Mommy: Spencer, you need to help.
Spencer: No, I can't do it.
Mommy: Spencer, do I need to count to three?
Spencer: Ahh, I can't reach (as he's trying to put something on the shelf).
Mommy: Well, put your legos in the bucket.
Spencer: No, mommy, me busy.

My comments about this conversation:

#1) I do speech therapy with a 4th grader who cannot take more than 2 conversational turns before losing track of the subject. Spencer and I can take like 14 turns before the subject resolves itself. Isn't that awesome?

#2) Did you notice the pronouns? He's got "me" and "I". He still confuses them.

#3) He has contractions. Well, it's only "can't". He has 1 contraction, but that's still impressive.

#4) Spencer is quite busy in his day to day life. He's always telling us he's busy. He needs a palm pilot to keep his play time, nap time, eating time and clean up time organized.

#5) Did you hear me threatening to count to 3? Do you realize, like I do, that I have turned into my mother and I might as well change my name to Carol?

5 comments:

The GVZs said...

I love it. Norah's got the 's down (as in 'Mommy's nose' or 'cat's water' or 'Nanor's mad!' I love it so much. I think it's totally awesome that Spencer can do 14 turns. He's brilliant!

The Yager Family said...

HA ha ha especially with the counting to 3 comment. I am my mom too... ahh but I guess it could be worse!

Laura said...

hehehehe - what's a pronoun? :)

Megan said...

I love your language obsession. Also I don't ever remember your mom counting to 3!

Jennifer said...

After that demonstration of brillance - I am assuming that his early application to Harvard will be accepted any day now!

Those whoopie pies look delicious. Have you ever considered starting a recipe blog? Or at least posting your recipes? Some of us are kitchen challenged and could use every little bit of help out there!