Wednesday, March 10, 2010

GINGER IS HOME!

This is the look of no-sleep, 24 hours of crying, relief, jubilation and exhaustian. And Ginger just looks scared/pissed. Maybe she enjoyed her adventure more than she enjoys living with us. I hope not!

So, the details. We had a big storm yesterday afternoon. It blew the gate open in our backyard. Ginger took off WITHOUT her collar. We made this discovery at 5 pm (within an hour of her disappearing).

By 6 pm I had printed 250 fliers and registered her on every missing pet website I could find. By 9 pm I had left a flier on every door in our immediate neighborhood and posted them on every stop sign in the immediate neighborhood, a lot of lightposts and on benches and playground equipment in the park.

By 9 am today I posted an additional 50 flyers all around the neighborhood on stop signs and lightposts. By 2 pm we had checked both animal control facilities and I was on my 21st hour of pretty continuous crying. At 4:35 pm we got a phone call from a man saying he had seen our flier in the neighborhood and that he had picked up Ginger yesterday a couple blocks from our house and dropped her off at a vet's office. Michael wasn't even off the phone and I was in the car. Driving and crying. Not a great combo.

At 5:00 (exactly 24 hours after she left) Ginger and I were reunited at the vet's office. They were all so nice. I was sobbing and they hugged me and gave me kleenex and everyone exclaimed how nice Ginger was and how beautiful she was. I gave them a donation for taking such good care of her. They said they would use it for rescuing other lost animals.

At 5:10 the vet's office told me they scanned her microchip and the ID number wasn't registered to anyone. Had it been, we would have had her back within an hour of her going missing. At 5:30 I called the microchip company, furious, demanding answers. Basically, either Ginger has 2 microchips and 1 was never registered or the Southern Arizona Beagle rescue gave us erroneous information when we adopted her.

We have an appointment at the vet's tomorrow (which we actually already had) to find out some answers.

WELCOME HOME GINGER! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, how scary!! I am so glad you found her!! -Megan & Duncan :)

The Yager Family said...

Oh I was SO relieved to get your text, and I am SO happy to hear the whole story. Can't wait to hear what you can find out about the chip.
Happy happy happy!!!

Jennifer said...

Welcome home Ginger!!! So happy to see that once again all is right with the world and your house is once again home to a beagle and a baby!

Natalie said...

Tell me about it. Amongst all the other things I was worrying about (some of them way too horrible to even write about) it actually crossed my mind that 1) there was no way I could continue blogging and 2) if someday I could get back to it, I'd have to change the title.

The GVZs said...

How terrifying! Glad she is back safe and sound. I hope she doesn't guilt you into making more bacon grease cookies. :)

Kendra Forgacs said...

Oh Natalie! I was brought to tears by this post but I am so glad it all worked out!

Karen said...

I am so so so happy that Ginger returned safe and sound! What a nice man to pick her up and take her someplace safe! I too am interested in this chip story. Keep us posted!